Latest Arquebusier Journal

Started by WFGamer, 18 August 2017, 11:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WFGamer

18 August 2017, 11:35:03 AM Last Edit: 18 August 2017, 11:47:03 AM by WFGamer
Hi all,

The latest edition of the Pike and Shot society journal 'Arquebusier' (volume 35, issue 3) arrived today. As a member of the society you get this free, along with other benefits like discounts on the society's works, but you can also pick them up on the society's stand at many UK shows.

As usual the journal features a nice selection of high quality articles/features. There are three on the English Civil War. A very informative article on fighting in enclosed ground, some thing that featured heavily in the war but is often not well handled in games. An interesting in depth review of a new PC game covering the war. Lastly an interesting new take on the battle of Cheriton, both the history and gaming it.

Other articles feature a more diverse selection of subjects. There is a nice article on the Garde Te Voet, the Dutch Blue Guards, focusing on the 1680's and 90's. Another concerns the first officer of the Household cavalry to be killed in action in 1685. There is also a short discussion on the portrait of a Dutch officer from circa 1638 and a number of independent book reviews of recent publications.

In summary another great issue of this journal with material that most people interested in this era, or just curious, will find interesting. The Pike and Shot Society website is here if you are interested - http://www.pikeandshotsociety.org/

d_Guy

Thanks for posting this information. After a thirty year hiatus I rejoined back in June. I was just about to inquire but apparently my copy is winging its way to the States.  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

Sandinista

18 August 2017, 10:32:04 PM #2 Last Edit: 18 August 2017, 11:21:51 PM by Sandinista
I've been a member of the Pike and Shot society for a few years now, recommend joining for anyone interested in this period.

Cheers
Ian