The Solomons Campaign 2017

Started by paulr, 16 July 2017, 12:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

Quote from: Steve J on 03 December 2017, 12:34:14 PM
Excellent campaign which I enjoyed following, despite having virtually no interest in naval wargaming.

Me too. I've enjoyed reading the reports.

The final twist in the end, when it looked like the Marines would take the airfield back, but no with a 75% chance Paul fluffed it.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Poggle

A shame about the result, but it was fun to follow the campaign. Thanks for sharing.  :)

paulr

Quote from: bigjackmac on 03 December 2017, 08:44:04 PM
Obviously this was the worst wargaming campaign I've ever seen.  I mean, absolutely ridiculous, ludicrous, and any other derogatory descptives I may come up with in the future.  But, despite the incredibly ahistorical and utterly unbelievable results associated with the ground portion of the campaign, it was a blast to read and follow.  It was truly inspiring, and I wish I could have personally taken part.  I appreciate all the hardwork it took to play and post for our enjoyment, thank you.

My parting words are thus: since this was a fictional campaign following historical events, it must have been that 1st MarDiv got tabbed for Nee Guinea and the Army's 32nd Infantry Division made the Solomons landings ;)

Thanks again guys!

V/R,
Jack

That must have been it Jack ;) ;D ;D

Quote from: fred. on 03 December 2017, 10:52:14 PM
Me too. I've enjoyed reading the reports.

The final twist in the end, when it looked like the Marines would take the airfield back, but no with a 75% chance Paul fluffed it.

Thanks for the sympathy Fred ;)

If the Japanese hadn't rolled that 1 and grabbed the airfield, when they had a 17% chance, the Americans were heading for a Strategic victory X_X :-[
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Quote from: paulr on 04 December 2017, 04:45:19 AM
If the Japanese hadn't rolled that 1 and grabbed the airfield, when they had a 17% chance, the Americans were heading for a Strategic victory X_X :-[

I am increasingly coming to suspect that a wargamer and his (or her) dice will ultimately prove to be a macro example of quantum entanglement. I believe it is impossible to make a critical roll without thinking of "one".
Sleep with clean hands ...

pierre the shy

I think the thing you need to realize about ODGW's The Solomons Campaign is that its almost 100% focused on the naval side of the campaign, the air and land campaigns are deliberately simplified and important air and land outcomes (such as the attacks on Henderson Field) are compacted into a single roll of the dice, albeit influenced by the Tactical Index which is changed by naval events.

The Solomons Campaign does not claim to comprehensively cover all aspects of the campaign, but covers the naval side of things pretty well, as we have discovered both times we have played it through.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

bigjackmac

Pierre,

I assume that's directed me, so I humbly apologize.  I fully understand that the campaign is purely a sea campaign with a bit of air thrown in and some die rolls for the ground piece, I was just joking and I apologize as I certainly wasn't trying to denigrate the fun and hard work by the guys that put the campaign on.  My whole line of joking revolves around the fact I am a former US Marine and much steeped in Corps' history, of which the fight for Guadalcanal surpasses legendary status.  So I was just being over the top/facetious about the fact the Marines lost the airfield and then were unable to retake it, against long odds both times.

Sorry guys, I was just playing around.

V/R,
Jack

paulr

That was the way I took your comments Jack and my poor rolling got the banter it deserved  :-[;) ;D

bigjackmac

pierre the shy

I too fully realize the jocular nature of your post Jack  :)  :-[

All I was trying to point out was that some of key non-naval decisions turn on the result of a single dice roll.  The successful Japanese assault at the end of Turn 5 and the failure of the US attempt to recapture Henderson on the final turn were both a bit "against the odds" results that had a large impact on the outcome of the campaign.

Having done a fair bit of reading/research on the subject I have nothing but respect for the Marines who fought on Guadalcanal and in the later battles of the Pacific campaign.

1st Marine Division was in NZ prior to Operation Watchtower and embarked at Wellington for the invasion of Guadalcanal:

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/us-marines-corps-memorial-wellington

Ace of Spades

Really enjoyed following this one gentlemen!
Hope you're gonna do something similar soon...

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

bigjackmac

No sweat Pierre!  So, having researched Operation Watchtower, you understand how utterly ludicrous the campaign was, then?  :P ;) ;D ;D ;D

See, you guys need to quit being so lazy and actually play out the land fights, too!  I think we've found your next project ;)

Anyway, thanks again for all the hardwork.

V/R,
Jack

paulr

Sorry my next project has already been shipped from Pendraken, AWI in Virginia http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,16785.0.html

If Pendraken did early war US figures I'd definitely be doing the Japanese invasion of the Philippines including 4th Marine Regiment

pierre the shy

Yes the campaign certainly was a bit of a dousy from both sides point of view Jack.

We normally use Spearhead for WW2 land stuff, which doesn't "officially" cover the Pacific theatre (the add-on book was never published but there are house rules on line for them in the Yahoo Spearhead group pages). Also neither of us currently has a US Marine or Japanese ground force in 6mm.

I did find that 3W long ago made a combined Naval and Land boardgame called Campaign for Gaudalcanal that could purhaps be used for the land side of things, though the supply missions in TSC module would mean you'd have to modify the historical arrival of actual units. Might be worth tracking down a copy if we ever do it again?

While Paul is off to Virginia with his AWI project next my next naval projects will take me to the Norwegian Sea and the sunnier climes of the Med in 1942....looks like we've got ourselves a convoy  ;) 

Dr Dave

A draw?... A draw  :(

Thank God for Tube Alloys.