Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
23 July 2017, 03:57:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We've revamped our FT-17's!
235018 Posts in 14310 Topics by 2023 Members
Latest Member: Lanceflint
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  Batreps (Moderator: nikharwood)
| | |-+  The Solomons Campaign 2017
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Solomons Campaign 2017  (Read 391 times)
paulr
Lieutenant General

« on: 16 July 2017, 12:03:26 AM »

To mark the 75th anniversary of the actual campaign we are re-fighting the naval campaign in the Solomons focused on Guadalcanal.

The campaign began with the capture of Henderson airfield on Guadalcanal by US Marines on 8 August 1942 and lasted until 9 February 1943 when the Americans realised the last  Japanese had evacuated Guadalcanal two nights before.

We are using Old Dominion Games "The Solomons Campaign" but are using General Quarters I/II as for the battles as we prefer them to the more complex GQ III.

http://www.odgw.com/products/generalquarters3/gq3tsc.html

We first played this campaign in 2013 http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,10531.0.html when I umpired and Pierre the Shy commanded the Allies.

This time around Pierre the Shy is kindly umpiring, I am commanding the Allies and Roy, our regular Saturday host, is commanding the Japanese.

We started the campaign on 10 August 1942 after the battle of Savo Island and made the decisions for the first turn last night. The first game will take place next Saturday

We are now nervously waiting to find out what that battle will be...  Nail biting Nail biting Nail biting
paulr
Lieutenant General

« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2017, 09:15:44 AM »

Pierre the Shy has performed his umpiring duties and the first game will be a night action near Lunga Point deep in Savo Sound (soon to be renamed Iron Bottom Sound if our campaign is anything like history) Nail biting Nail biting Nail biting

mad lemmey
Field Marshal

« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2017, 12:47:28 PM »

Sounds a lot of fun! Good luck all!

Is it time I had a signature? Everyone else does.

Chekov's Gun, Occam's Razor, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle walk into a bar. You won't believe what happens next!

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner 😎
DFlynSqrl
Captain

Mostly Harmless

« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2017, 03:25:31 PM »

It does sound very cool.
sunjester
Major

« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2017, 05:59:29 PM »

Have fun!

Womble67
Brigadier

« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2017, 10:39:19 AM »

Yep have fun

Take care

Andy

pierre the shy
Captain

« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2017, 12:17:56 PM »

Yep have fun

Have fun!

No worries on that score - I am

and its only the first turn  Wink
paulr
Lieutenant General

« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2017, 08:59:25 PM »

Good to know the umpire is having fun Wink

The players are more nervous  Nail biting Nail biting Nail biting
paulr
Lieutenant General

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 12:40:01 AM »

The umpire dropped a little surprise on me yesterday Shocked

He pointed out that only some of the US destroyers had radar. I had assumed, WRONGLY, that they all did Embarrassed

This has lead to a historically accurate disregard for radar when assigning roles to the various US Destroyer Squadrons d'oh d'oh d'oh

I hope the two SC surface warning radars in my key destroyer squadron are working tonight Nail biting Nail biting
The other six destroyers in that squadron have no radar At wits' end

All the destroyers in the other Destroyer Squadron that may be involved tonight of course have radar I don't want to see
mad lemmey
Field Marshal

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 07:25:28 AM »

Good luck!

Chekov's Gun, Occam's Razor, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle walk into a bar. You won't believe what happens next!

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner 😎
paulr
Lieutenant General

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 09:23:13 PM »

Thanks Lemmey, both radars worked Shocked Cheesy

It was an 'interesting' game, a very calm night with heavy fog and visibility of 3-5,000 yards

The Americans with good radar detected 3 large and 7 small Japanese ships approaching Lunga Point from the north west and warned the remaining ships by TBS

This was about the maximum number the American force was willing to engage but the limited visibility would mean any engagements would be at almost suicidal ranges Undecided

Some of the American ships moved west towards Lunga Point while the remainder continued to patrol between Lunga Point and Koli Point (to the east), visibility if anything worsened

The Japanese were aware of the presence of American ships, hearing the TBS radio transmissions. They opened fire at long range in the general direction of Henderson Field and after 20 minutes or so withdrew to the north west
paulr
Lieutenant General

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 09:28:20 PM »

That 'engagement' brought the month of August to an end

There had been no actual contact between naval or air forces during the month Shocked

Both the Allies and the Japanese had bombarded the enemy on Guadalcanal twice during the month and may have also managed to deliver some supplies, can't say too much Wink

So we made our decisions for next month and Pierre the Shy will work out what we are fighting next week Nail biting Nail biting
mad lemmey
Field Marshal

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 10:35:24 PM »

Sounds like fun.

Ithoriel
Lieutenant General

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 11:09:28 PM »

I look forward to the progress of the campaign.

As an erstwhile "admiral in the Imperial Japanese fleet" who lost the battlecruisers Kirishima and Hiei, the heavy cruiser Takao, the light cruiser Nagara and the destroyer Yayoi in exchange for a single US destroyer in the opening battle of our Guadalcanal campaign I commend the caution of both sides!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: