The Solomons Campaign 2017

Started by paulr, 16 July 2017, 12:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

25 November 2017, 09:21:55 PM #105 Last Edit: 25 November 2017, 09:24:07 PM by paulr
It was important to limit supplies for the Japanese forces threatening Henderson Field but four months of fighting had left a number of ships damaged

As the US Patrol headed for Cape Esperance at least four large radar contacts were reported. The weather was clear and calm and the moon was still up

The two leading US destroyers sighted two of the large ships that their supporting ship had warned them of at 24,000 yards

Battleships :o Two Battleships :o :o

Huge columns of water leaped skyward around the lead destroyer as the Japanese ships opened fire

As the urgent report went out over the TBS radio the destroyers turned hard to starboard and retired behind smoke

The OOD thumbed through his ship identification book, they look to be Kongo class battlecruisers, still too big for us to handle

The remainder of the US force followed their orders and also withdrew, there was little chance of fighting through the Japanese ships to the supply ships

The US forces will now have to prepare to launch a last ditch counter attack to reclaim Henderson Field
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Poggle

Good grief! Henderson Field lost and all to play for.  :o

paulr

We completed the Solomons Campaign last night

The USN managed to deliver two supply missions without being engaged by the Japanese

This gave the Marines the best possible chance, in the final act of the campaign I needed 1-9 on a D12 to retake Henderson Field :-SS :-SS :-SS

I rolled

11 :o X_X ~X(

Pierre the Shy will calculate the losses on both sides and let us know the final result
I think the American might have just managed to eke out a draw :-SS X_X

Steve J

pierre the shy

Quote from: Steve J on 02 December 2017, 07:33:31 PM
The tension mounts...

And we'll be back with the result, right after this short break........(the umpire needs his coffee first  ;) )
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Paul, I just want say that you have become my personal Rosetta Stone for emoticons. Thanks! :-bd
Sleep with clean hands ...

pierre the shy

Okay I hope you enjoyed the break.....maybe I drink a lot of coffee  ;)

Including crippled ships the USN suffered 42 points of "ship victory points" - mainly from damage to Enterprise and Saratoga and North Carolina.

The IJN suffered 60 points of "ship victory points" - they had Junyo, Hiyo, Nachi, Haguro, Kinugasa, Kinryu Maru, P1, P2 and Kazekumo sunk. All Japanese damaged ships were able to return to the fleet for further operations after 1 or 2 months.

Under the victory conditions as the Japanese held on to Henderson Field that gave them a win, however as IJN losses exceed those of the USN the best they can achieve is a marginal victory.

This is modified again by the final tactical index being over +20, so there is one shift in favour of the Allies to a draw....maybe a winning draw to the Japanese since they hold the airfield (though this is not specified in the Victory Conditions).

I think that gives a fairly accurate result as things were very even right through the campaign.

Hope you all enjoyed following the campaign....it was a lot of fun to run it.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sounds fair, thank you for all your hard work. :)

Ithoriel

Great campaign, lots of fun following it's progress.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

Excellent campaign which I enjoyed following, despite having virtually no interest in naval wargaming.

paulr

A fair result, thanks again for running a really enjoyable campaign which had a lot of twists and turns

Sorry Bigjackmac, I couldn't roll low enough for the Marines :-[

d_Guy

Really well done campaign, gentlemen! Bravo!  =D>
Sleep with clean hands ...

bigjackmac

Obviously this was the worst wargaming campaign I've ever seen.  I mean, absolutely ridiculous, ludicrous, and any other derogatory descptives I may come up with in the future.  But, despite the incredibly ahistorical and utterly unbelievable results associated with the ground portion of the campaign, it was a blast to read and follow.  It was truly inspiring, and I wish I could have personally taken part.  I appreciate all the hardwork it took to play and post for our enjoyment, thank you.

My parting words are thus: since this was a fictional campaign following historical events, it must have been that 1st MarDiv got tabbed for Nee Guinea and the Army's 32nd Infantry Division made the Solomons landings ;)

Thanks again guys!

V/R,
Jack