Top ten omissions

Started by FierceKitty, 13 July 2017, 04:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Hello FierceKitty

Quote from: FierceKitty on 13 July 2017, 04:59:21 AM

8 )  T'ang Chinese. Again, nobody does anything here, and they're probably the biggest and baddest of dark ages Chinese armies (lots of cataphracts, for a start). They pushed so far west that they banged heads against the Abbasid Caliphate far beyond India. And the Chinese regard the period as the high-water mark of Chinese civilisation.

The main problem with Tang is getting everybody to agree on what they actually looked like :). I looked at doing these in 15mm a long time ago and it was problematic to say the least. People respond with stills from movies or John Greer's WRG book (I still have this in my library).

Quote from: FierceKitty on 13 July 2017, 04:59:21 AM

2)  Ming. Although quite a bit can be proxied from Sung ranges, there are still many types not available (including Korean allies). With Sengoku Japanese so deservedly popular, why doesn't someone give them their only foreign enemy?

No there's not much available. Irregular do Sung and Kallistra make Medieval Chinese and Korean but they are large sculpts. What do you see as the major omissions?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan (A wargamer with a continuing soft spot for Chinese and Indian armies)

FierceKitty

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 13 July 2017, 11:19:26 PM

No there's not much available. Irregular do Sung and Kallistra make Medieval Chinese and Korean but they are large sculpts. What do you see as the major omissions?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan (A wargamer with a continuing soft spot for Chinese and Indian armies)

Well, I'd love a few of those multiple rocket-launchers on wheelbarrows. The primitive handguns they used look good (long ones with three barrels, and little ones resembling vases). Infantry with bidents or tridents (maybe cavalry too). Guardsman with axe. Korean hwachas.

You kept Greer's book? I bought it and gave it away on the same day!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

Latin was in error. Should have read pedicate omnia. Mixing up my perversions. :-[

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: FierceKitty on 14 July 2017, 12:53:36 AM
You kept Greer's book? I bought it and gave it away on the same day!

It's more a nostalgia thing. This was one of my first 'big' purchases about 40 odd years ago :).

The research that was sent to me from Korea, when I did my range, surmised that those unusual handguns were signal guns.

FierceKitty

I've sometimes wondered what a volley of Very pistols might accomplish.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

A nice firework display !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steeleye

You've obviously never had a flare shot at you!

Story from our RSM - on riot control duty they were issued with only trace ammunition. Theory was that it was non- lethal - WRONG ! Rioter with machete charged him, he fired at close range, apparently the target glowed for some considerable time.

As to firing flares at people, they are low velocity and inaccurate, so you should be able to dodge easy.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

The French Foreign Legion could do with

Gun crew - a  number of artillery pieces available would do as proxies 
Loaded mules  with various loads including guns and machine guns
Some mounted infantry 

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fred.

Quote from: Orcs on 05 October 2017, 12:58:34 PM
The French Foreign Legion could do with

Gun crew - a  number of artillery pieces available would do as proxies 
Loaded mules  with various loads including guns and machine guns
Some mounted infantry 

They would be useful
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Wulf

Quote from: ianrs54 on 15 July 2017, 11:00:09 AMAs to firing flares at people, they are low velocity and inaccurate, so you should be able to dodge easy.
Possibly, but you would probably put a hell of a lot of effort into it...

ErHo

"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

Ace of Spades

More infantry and support for the Foreign Legion plus fitting adversaries would certainly be something I would be interested in.

At this moment I'm looking into useful figures for an early ACW scenario like 1st Manassas. Troops in frock coats with kepis or shakos, fringed epaulettes, cross- and waistbelt etc. Also troops wearing kepis in havelocks and battleshirts would be welcome!
I just ordered some from other ranges to see if they will do but I see a few omissions looming.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Might as well mention that missing 6pdr - very useful for most 61, 62 and early 63 plus western theatre scenarios.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

nigel drury

For WW1 there are lot of artillery pieces, particularly early war that are hard to find in any scale.  If this was addressed I'd be interested in 10mm 1914/15.