The Men Who Would Be Kings - Colonial Rules

Started by T13A, 12 July 2017, 09:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Hi

One thing I particularly find bizarre about these 'Large skirmish' level rules is that there is no provision for mounted troops to dismount during a game (there is a bit of a fudge for 'mounted infantry' but the troops cannot dismount or re-mount during a game). They do purport to cover the American plains wars after all and the thought of 7th Cavalry or Indians not being able to fight mounted/dismounted during a game is just plain wrong to me.

I was just wondering if anyone using these rules had come up with any house rules to enable mounted units to dismount and fight dismounted and would be willing to share.

Whilst on the subject of the rules - any house rules for command/Leaders above the individual unit level?  (Each unit in the rules has a 'Leader' but there is nothing above them).

Apart from that they look good rules!

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

fred.

They are good fun rules.

I think they would be very amenable to adaptations such as dismounting.

I have wondered about adding higher level leaders. But not sure quite what they would bring. The easiest would to give them a +1 in a 12" radius, or similar. But I'd quite like to have good and bad higher level leaders, seems more appropriate for the period. But then I'm not sure how you would force the player to use bad higher level commanders.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

sunjester

Over on the DuxRampant forum (which covers all Dan's Osprey rules) someone suggested amendments for dismounting dragoons in The Pikeman's Lament. You might want to try tweaking that?

"Dragoons | Attack 7+, Move 5+, Shoot 6+, Morale 5+, Stamina 3, POINTS 4, Attack value 5+, Defence value 6, Shoot value/Range 5+/18" (DMTD) : 7+/8" (MTD), Maximum Movement 12"(mtd) /6" (dmtd), Special Rules: Skirmish (7+ & -1 shoot) / Evade / Mtd Slow Reload  (Mounted Slow Reload represents the difficulty of reloading while moving mounted.  For this special rule, Mounted Dragoons can only fire every other turn if they moved immediately after shooting.  If they don't move they fire as normal for mounted.)"