League of Augsburg Battle Pictures

Started by Bunny, 10 July 2017, 12:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

Very cool! A favorite period of mine!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

fred.

Quote from: Bunny on 10 July 2017, 12:50:53 PM

Enjoy the pictures...

I certainly did!

Great looking armies, and a good looking game too.

Not really heard much good about FoGR. I too am interested in using Baroque for this period - but do need to spend some more time trying to get my head around the rules. As d_guy says there are several Baroque players locally who are very helpful at explaining it.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

sunjester

Bunny

Quote from: d_Guy on 10 July 2017, 05:39:12 PM
There are a fair number of folks here that play Baroque, so you should not go wanting for advice. I play solo and have found Baroque to be very amenable to this. Some of the best armies I've seen put together for Baroque are right here on this forum, the most beautiful and cunningly done are those that use a single base for a unit.

The Baroque rule book also suggests breaking them into three pieces (I use five or six) so they can be assembled in different ways (adding a regimental gun or interlining musketeers with horse for example). The important dimension in Baroque is the unit front which (with the exception of ordinance) needs to be uniform. Your stands (which appear based for Pike & Shotte) look like they should adapt to Baroque with no problems. Incidentally all measurements in Baroque are a function of your standard unit frontage so once you have that all else falls in place.

Because the rules are written in Italian and then translated to English several of the abbreviations used may not be intuitive at first, but they are quick to learn. IMHO the reaction system (used by the non-phasing player) is as good as any I've seen and should keep everyone interested through out the game. Hope your group will give it a try.  :)

I will be seriously looking at Baroque and as these units are based with 120mm frontage I will be using 15mm movement and ranges.

A project in the pipeline is 10mm ECW, on large bases, 90mm frontage for use with Baroque, P&S and may be the new To The Strongest ECW rules...I do like the larger multi bases, I have done a few with 15mm but not with 10mm yet...looking forward to it.

Redstef

Very nice looking battle. Your units are based the same as mine and they drop perfectly into Baroque. They are an enjoyable set of rules and very quick to learn. For me, they are just a bit lacking for this period but not so much as I don't use them.
My 15mm  ECW are based for them and are a much better fit although the army lists for Parliament /Royalist have fallen for the age old generalisations but it's not too hard to make regional lists yourself.
"From each according to ability, to each according to need" Karl Marx.............I really need those figures

2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 4 x Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner, 1 x Runner-Up!