Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
06 August 2020, 07:33:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We've been producing PPE equipment for the frontline workers.
304603 Posts in 17768 Topics by 2249 Members
Latest Member: Waremblem
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Pendraken Releases, Requests and Photos!
| |-+  Photos
| | |-+  Pendraken Website Photos
| | | |-+  WWII British - Vehicles
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WWII British - Vehicles  (Read 8512 times)
fred.
Lieutenant General

« Reply #45 on: 31 July 2020, 04:33:40 PM »

Certainly the scout carrier, and perhaps the bren carrier, only had a single rear passenger compartment so looked quite different to the universal carrier.

I'm not sure why the bren carrier name is the one that has stuck in common parlance. As well as Brens, they would carry 2" mortars and PIATS, and could be fitted out to carry all sorts of different loads.

I think the way to think about is that Bren, Scout and Universal are the 3 different classes of vehicle. But for some reason Universal carriers were nicknamed Bren carriers. I suspect at the time they were all just called carriers (which now means a big ship with aircraft on it...)

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!
sultanbev
Playtester
Major

« Reply #46 on: 31 July 2020, 04:41:31 PM »

The Bren Carrier was the original carrier. It has a sloped back compartment and space for only 3 men including the driver. pre-war training documentaries show them racing up and dismounting a two man Bren team and the Carrier driviing off.

The Scout Carrier came next which was a bit of a one-off.

Then the Universal Carrier in late 1940, is called the Universal Carrier regardless of whether it was carrying a Bren Gun, a fifty cal HMG, a Vickers MMG, a PIAT, a Boys, a PTRD41, a stowed 3" mortar, or a 25mmL73 SA34 anti-tank gun. This has the boxed rear superstructure, and carries a driver and 3 dismounts - I can't remember off the top of my head whether the War Establishments allowed for a fifth man or not. There are pictures of them carrying whole squads (eg in Palestine in 1949) and no doubt the Soviets carried an entire platoon of SMG troops on them at times.

The Universal Carrier was the most common variant, the original Bren carrier generally disappearing during 1941. That troops (and subsequent postwar commentators) called the Universal Carrier a bren carrier was just a hangover from when the original Bren Carrier existed.

paulr
General

« Reply #47 on: 31 July 2020, 10:17:04 PM »

A very good summary, the extra crew was on the left in the Bren and the right on the Scout

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUa5TdHPCk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUa5TdHPCk</a>
On the right Scout carriers of 51st Highland Division with Light Tank Mk VIs of 1st Fife and Forfar Yeomanry visible in the background, 19 March 1940.

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
ianrs54
Playtester
General

« Reply #48 on: 01 August 2020, 07:09:14 AM »

There were several others as well such as the Cavalry carrier which had seats for 8-10 unprotected in the rear area

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF HURRAY

Muppet of the year 2019, and 2020
sean66
Cadet

« Reply #49 on: Today at 01:31:12 PM »

When will the Guards Divisions vehicles be painted ?  Shocked
those vehicles are far too dirty for the guards maybe ok for some common Divisions from the county's  :-
But surely not for His Majesty's Guards  Cheesy
regards
Sean
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: