Unearthing WWII

Started by Heedless Horseman, 06 July 2017, 01:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

TV docs worth a look on 'Yesterday'. I have not yet watched 'Gronningen'  but found 'Juno Beach' and 'Cassino' very interesting. TV show format has guys exploring battlefields and museums looking for artifacts...with a 'mystery' or personal history twist. The stories can be rather illuminating on the lives of soldiers there...some of whom did not return...and also on the dedication of some local historians maintaining collections of militaria.

From a wargame / modelling perspective, I found the Monte Cassino programme enthralling as it showed how the mountainous terrain really would have dominated the area...requiring denial of observation to the German forces...at whatever cost.
Also, the aerial views of the teams driving along roads could be VERY useful for modelling. I think the TV colours may be a bit 'intense' but they seemed to show how different Southern Italy could be to Northern Europe in terms of camouflage. A non-dust covered (lol!) 'olive green' tank would stand out more on Southern Italian earth than a British 'mud', (WHATEVER that is!!!), or German 'sand'...and 2 or 3 colour cammo would be extremely effective. Also, some foliage could make vehicles look more like olive trees than we might think. (I had thought that sticking 'clump' foliage on a tank looked a bit unrealistic due to the relatively 'bright' colours...but, from the air, it would work very well! A lot might have depended on season, though.) The effect of bombardment on movement in a rocky environment such as at Monte Cassino is also worth appreciating.

Overall, good programmes...(advert breaks apart!). Much respect for those who were there on all sides.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

sunjester

Thanks, I'll look out for these.

Terry37

22 April 2018, 04:05:18 AM #2 Last Edit: 22 April 2018, 04:07:29 AM by Terry37
I was a very committed WWII Airborne collector at one time, but as the hobby got to a point of being so serious that friends started doing you dirty to try and beat you to a piece I got out of it. Friendship always comes first, and no hobby that elicits that kind of action is worth doing in my book. I also collected WWI aviation for a few years. Here are a few pics of some of the collection I had.

These are only a small peek at the collections I had, but most is gone now. I do still have some of the bits I dug in Normandy while there, andof course some old west cowboy bits now, plus my WWI British badge collection, and my Napoleonic bits.

Just thought I'd share since the subject was hunting WWII relics.

Terry

"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Techno

Impressive !  :)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Blimey, that was a good haul.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

That's an impressive collection

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!