TMP

Started by SV52, 03 July 2017, 08:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

TWW is usually my second stop, after this forum, when I'm on the net getting my daily gaming fix.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jimduncanuk

Quote from: FierceKitty on 18 July 2017, 01:32:24 AM

What, and miss out on all those posts beginning "For centuries, historians have believed that the third crusade was led by Ulysses S. Grant against Alexander the Great. In a startling new book, Professor Rehash of Pittsburgh Community College argues that it was in fact a European campaign against the Ayyubid Sultanate..."?

Don't think I would miss that too much. We get enough of that from the BBC.
My Ego forbids a signature.

KTravlos

Bill did do a great service to the war-gaming community via TMP. And judging by visits to my blog posts, my withdrawal has hurt my exposure. But I am so unhappy with his moderation policies and general support of his political prejudices, which are not my own, that I had to do the honorable thing and leave. I do hope it remains a vibrant community. But it is no more that that. Just one of many and with clear political prejudices that are to be indulged.

doctorphalanx

Yes, green khaki rather than brown khaki! But definitely not as clear as this site in bright sunlight.

Chris Pringle

Quote from: old smokie on 18 July 2017, 12:25:45 PM
TMP = The Morons Page

That would be me then.  ;)

I still hang out on TMP. But I do agree that it does not seem to be as good a resource as it used to be.

fred.

Quote from: KTravlos on 18 July 2017, 07:13:17 PM
Bill did do a great service to the war-gaming community via TMP. And judging by visits to my blog posts, my withdrawal has hurt my exposure. But I am so unhappy with his moderation policies and general support of his political prejudices, which are not my own, that I had to do the honorable thing and leave. I do hope it remains a vibrant community. But it is no more that that. Just one of many and with clear political prejudices that are to be indulged.

I think the key bit in that sentence is 'did' - TMP used to be great (5-10 years ago) but more recently has become just too unpleasant to be worth spending time there.

It certainly used to generate a lot of traffic to my site when I posted links to pages.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Shecky

20 July 2017, 12:42:54 AM #36 Last Edit: 20 July 2017, 01:18:38 AM by Shecky
I think there are a number of forces beyond TMP's control which no longer make it the premier site for miniature gaming.
1. Access to social media - I realized that I get most of my hobby news from the manufacturer and publishers I follow on twitter or Facebook.  The companies can now control their message better and not have to rely on the TMP news schedule. By the time it's on TMP I've already heard about it from the company.
2. I've noticed that TMP is frequently no longer the top search result when I'm searching on the web.  For instance, I recently was looking for recommended Vallejo codes to paint my 10mm WWII figures.  The top results were from blog posts and not TMP.  Maybe it's just me but 5-10 years ago I think it would have been on TMP.
3. Kind of related to #2 but it's what I call "dispersal of information". Some people who would previously provide interesting content on TMP are now blogging thus depriving TMP of that content, and thus driving search results away from TMP.  Also, more manufacturers and publishers have successful fora. For instance, I spend more time here and on the TFL forum than on TMP because they are more geared to my interests.

The other thing I did last week was to create my own blog. However I don't really post on it, I just use it to track the blogs I follow (I just realized it includes all the bloggers who have posted so far on this page), links to reference material aw well as links to interesting gaming sites.  Adding links to blogs allows me to see in one place if there have been any recent updates.

doctorphalanx

If I post to TMP with a link to something on my blog I still get a lot of traffic but I'm not seeing much response on TMP itself. This suggests to me that TMP is still being read but people are not posting to it as before.

mollinary

Bill has finally returned from holiday, so plebs (non supporting members) can now post once again. I would expect activity to pick up again pretty quickly.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

jimduncanuk

Quote from: mollinary on 20 July 2017, 07:15:48 PM
Bill has finally returned from holiday, so plebs (non supporting members) can now post once again. I would expect activity to pick up again pretty quickly.

Mollinary

I replied to a post today.

Raider4

Quote from: FierceKitty on 18 July 2017, 01:32:24 AM
What, and miss out on all those posts beginning "For centuries, historians have believed that the third crusade was led by Ulysses S. Grant against Alexander the Great. In a startling new book, Professor Rehash of Pittsburgh Community College argues that it was in fact a European campaign against the Ayyubid Sultanate..."?

Glad you like it my friend! (smile)

FierceKitty

Quote from: Raider4 on 22 July 2017, 01:33:48 PM

Arrrgh!!!!!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

22 July 2017, 03:06:58 PM #42 Last Edit: 22 July 2017, 03:09:17 PM by d_Guy
Quote from: Raider4 on 22 July 2017, 01:33:48 PM

;D ;D =O =O

Despite me laughing he often finds interesting stuff and useful links.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fred.

Is Tango even a real person - of its it just a bot that Bill coded up? Or am I giving Bill too much credit for that.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

jimduncanuk

Quote from: d_Guy on 22 July 2017, 03:06:58 PM
;D ;D =O =O

Despite me laughing he often finds interesting stuff and useful links.

Yes, but he often swamps out many other interesting posts by sheer volume most of which is of no interest to me (classing myself as an average wargamer).

I keep him stifled.