Gascon crossbow

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 02 July 2017, 07:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Before I launch into painting 30 Gascon crossbowmen tomorrow, anyone any idea if they wore anything approaching uniform during the Italian Wars?
Puzzled of Leighton Buzzard
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

02 July 2017, 09:05:07 PM #1 Last Edit: 02 July 2017, 09:10:12 PM by Orcs
Quote from: mad lemmey on 02 July 2017, 07:51:01 PM
Before I launch into painting 30 Gascon crossbowmen tomorrow, anyone any idea if they wore anything approaching uniform during the Italian Wars?
Puzzled of Leighton Buzzard

Why do you ask these questions when I am at work and away from all source material apart from the internet?

Actually if I remember rightly it was a matter of honour amongst Gascon units that no individual would wear a garment of the same shade of colour as any of his comrades garments.  ;)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

I have a contemporary painting of French crossbowmen on the Pyrenees border during the reign of Loui XII. They are all wearing red and yellow parti-coloured clothing, but no two outfits are the same, i.e. some are striped, the number of stripes vary, some are quartered, some halved, the hose are different colours or striped or all the same colour etc.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Thanks chaps!
Stats, so much for an easy life...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

*shudder*

Sounds like my idea of hell to paint.

Only thing that would make it worse is if they were mounted.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Two colours on a Renaissance figure is no especially daunting.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!