French Legionaire at Indochine

Started by Natxo, 28 June 2017, 06:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natxo

Hello:
Can someone tell me which reference could be used to represent this guy?

https://goo.gl/photos/xhNjkSmKx5hHABXd9

It´s a french legionaire at Indochine, during World War II. French colonial uthorities fought a war with Thailand, then under a far right government.

Ithoriel

Would this do?

SC2 Dismounted Camel Corps

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

GrumpyOldMan

Hello Natxo

Most of the pictures I've seen show shorts and a Wolseley type sun helmet. I use the WW1 British Middle East range. I'm out at the moment but I'll see if I can find some more pics.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

29 June 2017, 12:38:30 AM #3 Last Edit: 29 June 2017, 12:49:21 AM by GrumpyOldMan
Hello Natxo

Here are some more images:-

And one from the retreat to China:-

When the new WW1 British Middle East figures are released it will make it easier - http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15005.0.html

You'd have to do some work on the HMG, either swapping an Hotchkiss onto the Vickers base or a head swap onto a SCW Hotchkiss base, probably generic Winter regular army or Moroccan Falange.

I probably have some links from when I looked at this. You can find most of the equipment apart from the amphibious tank.

Here is a pic, from a blog I can't remember whose,  of the WW1 figures that could leap into action as French colonials apart from the Vickers :).

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Natxo

Thank you for your answers.

I think that the new WWI miniatures will be perfect, and I can mix them with those dismounted Camel Corps.

The HMG should come form the SCW, it´s easy to swap heads or make a new hat.

Thai infantry will be easier, the adrian helmets ask for french or italian miniatures, and the peaked caps for wwI british.
I don´t know wHich MG did they use, but I will keep looking up in internet.

GrumpyOldMan

02 July 2017, 08:43:31 PM #5 Last Edit: 02 July 2017, 08:59:41 PM by GrumpyOldMan
Hello Natxo

Just be aware that the dismounted cav sun helmet is a different style. It is taller with a narrow brim. Yes head swaps are easier.

I used WW1 Italians for Thai but that was before the WW2 French chasseurs in vareuse were released. Adrien helmet, short jacket and putters would be a better proxy. The Thai were using Madsen lmg and Browning hmg. The fm24/29 lmg is close enough at arms length and I used WW1 British Vickers with head change.

But I'd use FRE25 as the officer

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

I also had fun with an armoured train  :D.

Train Indo 1

Train Indo 2

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan