Painting and shading advice

Started by Aughrim1691, 27 June 2017, 07:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aughrim1691

Being new to both the forum and to 10mm figures in general I am writing this in the hope that somebody can give me some advice.
I have previously painted 18mm to 28mm figures. My method of painting is to block paint the figures and then use the Army Painter products to shade them. This has worked so far, but with the 10mm figures it reduces them to a very dark figure, the colours not coming through.
In short my question is with this style of painting what, if anything, would both give depth to the figures but at the same time retain the brightness of the painting. Your views and help would be greatly appreciated.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Paint a shade or two lighter than you normally would, then use very diluted armypainter or highlight after washes.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jimduncanuk

Block paint the figures and then sparingly highlight the figures.

Don't ink them.

Use colours a shade or two lighter than you would use on bigger figures.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Fenton

27 June 2017, 09:13:01 PM #3 Last Edit: 27 June 2017, 09:14:35 PM by Fenton
I block paint the figures then wash in W&N nut brown
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Terry37

I block paint mine, and then hit them with a weak/very thinned Vallejo wash. When that dries I highlight with a wet dry wash of a brighter shade. So far I have been pleased with the results.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

paulr

Welcome to the forum Aughrim1691 :-h

As others have said paint several shades lighter than you would on larger figures.

The smallerr areas appear darker to the eye so you need to lighten them so they will look right

I use a thin black wash on most of my figures so tend to paint lighter still, allowing for the darkening from the wash

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Welcome from me, too !  :-h

Cheers - Phil

Leman

I am using a black undercoat which I then dry brush with white to bring out the detail. I then paint a highlight colour rather than the basic colour and try to leave recesses with black in them. I have tried many other styles over the years. The other successful one has been to prime in white, block paint the figure and then use a brown magic wash (see Fat Wally's web site  fat-wally.com). At the top of his menu , in red, is his painting service. Click on that and you can then access his magic wash recipe. I most frequently use a brown ink rather than black ink version, as this stops the figures becoming too dark. The magic wash also provides another layer of protection, as I apply it after applying a coat of Vallejo satin varnish.

These 6mm figures were done using the magic wash system:

These 10mm using black undercoat and highlight:

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Glorfindel

Another option is to undercoat in white and then apply a dark wash
(I use 'Badab Black').   This really brings out the detail, adds a black
line effect and also provides brighter colours that can be dulled by a
black u/c.

Phil

Zippee

28 June 2017, 11:35:31 AM #9 Last Edit: 28 June 2017, 11:37:37 AM by Zippee
I undercoat white

Then block paint - a shade lighter than you'd think.

Wash with coat d'arms shader black

Highlight all major areas with a bright/light colour - lighter than you'd think.

Never paint black, black - paint it dark grey and highlight. likewise never paint white, white, paint it light grey and highlight white

French Legere 1809 - 10th Regiment, Battalion III 03 by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

Austrian Chevaux Leger 1809 - 5th Klenau Regiment 03 by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

Austrian Landwehr 1809 - Manhartsberg 2nd Battalion 01 by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

DR01 - Ralph Appleton's Dragoons - 02 by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zippee/albums/with/72157680353106664

Sunray

What a festival of eye candy.   :)

Techno

Cor....Those are a bit good ! :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Aughrim1691

Thank you to everyone that replied with advice.
It looks like there are various ways to achieve a shaded result without turning the figures into an unrecognisable blob.
I'm now going to have to start experimenting!

toxicpixie

If using a wash as "heavy" as Army Painter (e.g. their own stain or any of the various "magic" or B&Q-tastic replacements) I'd go with white undercoat and a very bright version of the base colour!

I've done a few units like that and it works - specifically some LoA range cuirassiers and grenadiers, as "quick paint" tests. They're not amazing, but they were quick and acceptable. I can see it being exceptionally easy to bugger up and end up with dark blobs, mind, so I'm not sure it's something I'd be very comfortable for other peoples figures or anything I was really feeling desperate for quality on :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Zippee

Quote from: toxicpixie on 29 June 2017, 04:13:47 PM
If using a wash as "heavy" as Army Painter (e.g. their own stain or any of the various "magic" or B&Q-tastic replacements) I'd go with white undercoat and a very bright version of the base colour!

I've done a few units like that and it works - specifically some LoA range cuirassiers and grenadiers, as "quick paint" tests. They're not amazing, but they were quick and acceptable. I can see it being exceptionally easy to bugger up and end up with dark blobs, mind, so I'm not sure it's something I'd be very comfortable for other peoples figures or anything I was really feeling desperate for quality on :)

Agreed the Army Painter style shades are too dense for 10mm - too dense for 15mm IMO as well.

You need a fine light wash - GW Badab/Devlan and replacements worked well as does CdA Black (although the brown is too ruddy for my tastes). I've had limited success with Vallejo but it is a bit sticky and has a tendency to gloop up and pool badly.