East African/Abyssinian Campaign

Started by Gazza, 25 June 2017, 03:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gazza

Would there be any interest in seeing dedicated models for this interesting but much overlooked WWII theater? Obviously some existing models could be pressed into service - particularly armour and 8th Army - but it would be nice to see Italians and Commonwealth infantry in topees as well as more colourful units like the Regio Corpo Truppe Coloniali, Force Publique and Ethiopian irregulars. Any support for this? Or can most of these be covered by proxy-models?
'Which painting in the National Gallery would I save if there was a fire? The one nearest the door of course.' - GB Shaw

Das Blog: http://we-stand-and-fight.blogspot.co.uk/

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Those would also do for the early desert war. Probably not too commercial though,.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

How much of that can be sourced from the WWI ranges?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Gazza

Quote from: ianrs54 on 25 June 2017, 04:39:38 PM
Those would also do for the early desert war. Probably not too commercial though,.

Indeed, Italians in topees would be perfect for Operation Compass - Britain's first successful land operation of WWII. Is anyone else interested in gaming this period of the war?
'Which painting in the National Gallery would I save if there was a fire? The one nearest the door of course.' - GB Shaw

lowlylowlycook

Well, I have a bunch of 28mm Ethiopians and just ordered some more so I'm kind of OK with Pendraken not making 10mm for East Africa.

That said, if they existed they would be bought. 

At one point, I was thinking of asking for some head swaps to the Sudanese range to make them Ethiopians but apparently doing head swaps for 10mm ranges is far from trivial.

sunjester

There may be some figures in the SCW range that would serve as proxies.

FierceKitty

Don't fly via Addis Ababa if you can avoid it, by the way.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

The WW1 ranges can help with proxies. The British mid-east figures with Wolseley are very useful, I've used them as French colonials as well. The New sculpts including the German Asia Korp figures will also help when they arrive http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15005.0.html. Also the WW1 East African Rugga Rugga are handy as Native guerrillas.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Steve J

They are campaigns that I have considered, but would probably use proxy figures from existing ranges. At this scale and once on the table, that would work for me.

Gazza

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps: most useful. It seems that everything could be adequately covered using proxies from existing ranges (those Rugga Rugga would do superbly as Ethiopian irregulars, thank-you GOM), BUT (and it's a big BUT - oi, no giggling back there!) I think I would need Italians in topees before jumping off. Is there any chance we might see any before my eyes are so knackered I can no longer paint 10mm*?

*Although some might reasonably claim I reached that point some time ago.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The Italians wore bad wigs?  :o

I'll get my coat...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Think you meant hairpiece there Will.   :d :d :d

I didnt bring a coat.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

Hare piece maybe?

Did the Italians train hares as prison guards?

You know, hare today, goon tomorrow. :D

Pass me my coat while you're there ML
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

X_X X_X X_X X_X......and  =) =) =) =) =) , too.

Dearie, dearie me.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello Gazza

Quote from: Gazza on 26 June 2017, 10:17:02 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions chaps: most useful. It seems that everything could be adequately covered using proxies from existing ranges (those Rugga Rugga would do superbly as Ethiopian irregulars, thank-you GOM), BUT (and it's a big BUT - oi, no giggling back there!) I think I would need Italians in topees before jumping off. Is there any chance we might see any before my eyes are so knackered I can no longer paint 10mm*?

*Although some might reasonably claim I reached that point some time ago.

Injecting some sanity back into proceedings, my guess is that Italians with sun helmets would be near the end of a rather long queue  :(. Best Pendraken proxy would be the WW1 German Asia Korp with sun helmet:-

Lots of figures wearing sidecap - maybe mix in some SCW Regular winter types:-

Another manufacturer, with mining connotations, makes desert Bersaglieri but if you're worried about your eyesight do you really want to hack feathers off multiple 10mm figures :).

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan