White uniformed French troops 1870

Started by Leman, 18 June 2017, 11:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

I have been looking at a number of near contemporary pictures dealing with the Armies of the Loire and Garibaldi's Army of the East. A number of pictures of the eastern troops depict an infantry unit(s) in an all-white uniform. Anyone know anything about this?

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

ronan

18 June 2017, 12:11:32 PM #1 Last Edit: 18 June 2017, 12:38:51 PM by ronan
Hello

They MAY be  "francs-tireurs". ( Compagnie des francs-tireurs volontaires du Doubs ?)

There were some companies with fancy uniforms. ( 618 companies for 70,000 men as written in this french website : http://www.souvenir-francais-doubs.fr/guerre%20de%201870.htm )

I found an other source( https://www.cairn.info/revue-strategique-2009-1-page-279.htm )  stating :
The cpt Huot was a former hussard officer who knew well the forest in this area. He led many raid, for example to free some french prisoners, or to seize convoy. Each week he made glorious entry in Besançon, bringing back prisoners, food and ammunitions. (1)

( 1st source was the book  from Comte de Vitrolles "Notes et souvenirs sur la Garde mobile des Hautes Alpes, Marseille", Seren, 1872, p. 43. )
(1) my own translation and summary, I hope you can understand. ;)

Leman

Many thanks for the information Ronan. They do only seem to appear with Garibaldi's army, so I would also go with them being Francs Tireurs bands - so another added level of variety which I hadn't realised existed.

KTravlos

Also they might be using the fatigue smocks of the French Army?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Zippee

its a colouring book - you just haven't finished yet

Leman

Techno

mollinary

Quote from: Techno on 18 June 2017, 05:03:37 PM
White undercoat ?

Cheers - Phil.

Looks more like a white overcoat to me.  I'll get my..................

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

I think you should, M.  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

I have resisted for two days.

Do they have white uniforms so that they can tear them up to make flags?  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

Oh dear, don't think you know a great deal about the attitude of French soldiers in the FPW.

KTravlos

Interestingly the Congressional troops in the Chilean Civil War of the 1890s were also dressed in white.