Phalanx 2017 show report

Started by Norm, 17 June 2017, 09:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

A good report and a good haul ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

lowlylowlycook

Looks like a great show and you gave a nice report.

Is this maybe a bit closer to the right colors? 

Leman

Thanks a lot Norm. Especially useful as I was unable to attend this year.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Good one, Norm.

Depending on what camera you're using, you might be able to play round with the colour balance.
Having said that......There appears to be at least two types of artificial lighting in that hall......which makes life even harder.
Try using flash ?? :-

Cheers - Phil

fsn

My camera allows you to stick a piece of white paper in front of it, and say "this is white", and it compensates automatically thereafter. The Sutton Leisure Centre is a horrible place to take photos.

I get to Phalanx irregularly, and the biggest problem is always the lack of parking. I went this year and thought the number of stalls and the quality of games were up to par. It did seem to me when I was there that the number of punters was lower, but that might just have been the beautiful day, the economic climate or the stripper-thon with free beer and pizza being held in Widnes at the same time. 

I'm not a big show goer. Most of what I want to buy I can get on-line, and being locked in a confined space with 400 overweight, middle aged men is not my idea of fun. Of the 44 trade stands, I think about 4 are from manufacturers I would buy from,  so only 10% or so of stands actually interest me (excluding the book stalls which are always a draw). This is because I am firmly committed to the one true scale, and 1:600 aeroplanes ... and 1:3000 ships, but I am firmly committed to the one true scale.   

Anyway, the highlight of my day was meeting Leon himself. Surprisingly, he didn't berate me for the contributions I have made to this forum, which proves he must be a really, really nice man. Dave talked me through the Pendraken Centurion offerings, which has to be one of the most disturbingly exciting moments of my life.  :-[

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

Thanks for adjusting the photo - it is still off, but much better than I was putting out.

I kept the flash off the camera because it is not strong enough to defeat the sodium lighting much beyond a couple of feet and so without additional lighting I was shooting at around ISO 1600, which doesn't help.

the camera has some pretty fancy white balance adjustments so it is me rather than the camera that doesn't seem to improve year on year!

Today is my play day, where I get everything out of their bags and then and try and find storage for them! First of all though, I have to paint lounge walls .... apparently!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Good report Norm.

I popped along early afternoon, when it was much quieter and parking was a breeze!

Had a good chat with Leon and Dave. Leon had just about recovered from the visit of fsn - mainly due to the surprise of him being an actual person!!

I picked up a pre-order from Pendraken, mainly WWII stuff and terrain. And as I had £5 refund due to the wrong type of Churchill Bridge layer, managed to acquire a large box containing a total battle miniatures desert fort - technically as a Father's Day present. My eldest daughter had accompanied me to try to find something for Father's Day. She had two observations on the way home
1) my hobby is quite expensive - just like hers (athletics, but  in a different way)
2) she didn't understand anything I said to anyone at the show

Also got some bits from Magister Millitum - some tents and some large desert creatures

And some irregular 2p sabot bases from warbases

I failed to find blank dice for a gaming bud.

I was a bit pressed for time this year so it was a bit of a fly round the sho.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

The sodium lighting is a nightmare. It's quite common in NW sports halls, and has been a bane of getting good photos at many an athletics event.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Norm

You got an excellent buy on that for, some lovely models in that range. Twice I picked up the small town piece and then put it back, only because I don't have any desert related gaming stuff.t

fred.

It's very nice - I resisted opening until this morning- so have only had a good look at it recently.

The TBM stuff is very nice I've got a fair bit of their European stuff around 15-17thC

Leman

Agreed; I've recently painted up the TBM 10mm church with dome for use with my SYW and beyond armies. It was relatively easy to paint up and looks really good. Unfortunately another email from Amazon to say my new camera has been delayed again - well, I did want the latest model from Alpha Centauri!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!