Battle of Benburb in slow motion

Started by d_Guy, 14 June 2017, 08:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

Does she have a Handel on it now?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Only if Barry Toven comes round and fits one.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Gack! I often find the spellchecker quite Mendelssohn.
Sleep with clean hands ...

sunjester

Good battle report. Visual aids make it easier for us thickos to follow what's going on.  ;D

Sunray

Enjoyed the report Bill.  Thanks for posting.  Protestant Orangemen in Ireland will now add Benburb to Derry, Aughrim, Enniskillen and the Boyne.

The historical irony, is  that the outcomes will be little different. Owen Roe was unable to follow up his victory.

d_Guy

Quote from: sunjester on 23 June 2017, 07:07:53 AM
Good battle report. Visual aids make it easier for us thickos to follow what's going on.  ;D
Thanks, quite honestly a week later they are the only way I can remember what happened.  :o :)

Quote from: Sunray on 23 June 2017, 08:55:57 AM
Enjoyed the report Bill.  Thanks for posting.  Protestant Orangemen in Ireland will now add Benburb to Derry, Aughrim, Enniskillen and the Boyne.

The historical irony, is  that the outcomes will be little different. Owen Roe was unable to follow up his victory.

Thanks James - it was the "one brief shinning moment" and now it's gone too! :).
Agree that the outcome made little historical difference (but produced some great songs). The ever changing flow of Irish politics is one of the more interesting (and confusing) aspects of the war in Ireland.

Sunray

Quote from: d_Guy on 23 June 2017, 01:52:45 PM

Thanks James - it was the "one brief shinning moment" and now it's gone too! :).
Agree that the outcome made little historical difference (but produced some great songs). The ever changing flow of Irish politics is one of the more interesting (and confusing) aspects of the war in Ireland.

Ya think ?  Wait till your wargame moves on to the execution of Charles I and the Presbyterian Covenanter Scots turn on their former  Parliamentarian  allies.
Its like "we oppose Charles, but he's our king, so you English don't have the right to execute him"- Charles also made promises to honour the Covenant.

Owen Roe witting or unwittingly lifts the 1649 Protestant Covenanter siege  on Derry- and relieves Coote and the Parliamentary forces.  Not many Irish folk songs record this act......  ;)

d_Guy

Finally wrote up my notes on the various things I did wrong at Benburb as the Irish commander and worked out a better organization and deployment for the Irish (hopefully):

Also listed out some more things about Baroque in solo play. For anyone interested the blog post is below (but you've already seen the only picture - above  :) )

https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2017/06/30/wargaming-benburb-what-went-wrong/

I shall now meander back to Scotland but much depends on what mood strikes me next.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

nicely done and looked particularly engaging and satisfying from a solo play point of view.