15mm 8th Army and French Resistance

Started by bigjackmac, 14 June 2017, 01:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

So, another week another project, right?  I've got way too many things going on right now (too include real life), but I just can't help myself.  I'm embarking on a brand new wargaming journey; not as big as "Cuba Libre," more along the lines of my "With the Old (Lead) Breed."  The project is large enough that, like Cuba Libre and Old Breed, I'm starting yet another blog in order for it to have its very own special place. 

With a  new project I needed new troops; that's kind of the point, right? ;)  So I went out and got me some Peter Pig WWII troops for the beginning of the project.  Oh, let me explain a bit more: I'm going to follow a fictional platoon through a series of real-life wars, so I'll be playing squad-level skirmish games (that's kind of my thing now, apparently) in different eras.  For the initial war, I bought two packs of WWII British 8th Army and two packs of WWII French Resistance; I'm not going to tell you what my project is (yet), I'd love to see if anyone can figure it out.  But suffice to say, while I bought and painted up WWII British and French, they'll not be used for WWII, and they'll be used as troops from two other countries, not UK or France. 

So, that's the big question: which country are the WWII British 8th Army going to be used for, which country are the WWII French Resistance going to be used for, and what conflict are they involved in?

The French Resistance.

The British 8th Army.

To see a boatload more pics, please check the blog at:
http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2017/06/peter-pig-15mm-british-8th-army-and.html

So, whaddaya think?  Please feel free to drop me a line and let me know what you think of my half-ass painting and basing efforts, what you think of the troops, and, most importantly, let me know what you think my next project is.

My last note is this: I've really gone heavy into squad-level skirmish games.  I really enjoy them, and I'm having so much fun.  Aside from time to play them, type up the batreps, and post them, do you know what my biggest limiting factor is?  Buying troops!  Painting and basing is easy, I only need about a dozen guys, but my problem is that no one sells squads of troops in 15mm!  There are several companies that sell whole platoons of infantry, but I'm tired of paying $20-$25 to get 30 guys when I only need 10.  Peter Pig works better, with their packs of 8 (be advised they also sell platoons), but even then it gets kind of screwed up.  For a modern squad you're going to want something like 8 rifleman, a couple grenadiers, and a couple SAWs, but you've got to buy a pack of riflemen, a pack of grenadiers, and a pack of SAWs, so you end up with 6 too many grenadiers and six too many SAWs.  Similarly with WWII, where you're going to need about 8 rifleman, a couple guys with SMGs, and a single light machine gun, but you have to buy a pack of riflemen, SMGs, and LMGs. 

Perhaps I need to reach out to Mr. Martin Goddard, see if I can make a large enough purchase that would make it worth his time to sort out some mixed packs of troops for me.  In any case, the new project is coming right up; everything is set and I've already played the first two fights, just need to find time to write them up.  Stay tuned!

V/R,
Jack

fsn

Well, it's somewhere hot.

Arab-Israel 1948?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

lowlylowlycook

Wherever they are from, they are looking good.

bigjackmac

"Arab-Israel 1948?"
Damn, he got me straight out the gate!  I bet you cheated!  That or I'm not as clever as I thought I was ;)

Thanks Lowlycrook.

V/R,
Jack

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

No just evil smelling !!!! Comes of living in Runcorn.  ;) ;) :D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021