Dragoon guidons 1690 period

Started by Sandinista, 13 June 2017, 08:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandinista

Can anyone point me in the direction of good information relating to dragoon guidons for English, Scots and Irish forces of the 1690s? This would be to cover both the Williamite and Jacobite armies.

I should point out that I am looking to produce sets of flags to add to the LoA range Pendraken already sell in 10mm.  Which is why I am looking for references to base these upon, rather than appropriating other's designs.

My thoughts were if I can't find any historical images or references, to use the royal cyphers on various coloured background, perhaps with St George or St Andrew crosses at the hoist or top canton.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks
Ian

fred.

Barry Hilton over at the League of Augsberg site has a collection of PDFs detailing the uniforms and flags of the various units at the Boyne. I believe these are very well researched - but there is still a large degree of conjecture over uniforms and flags.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Sandinista

Yes, I have them, they are great. But I would like to find to original references rather than copy someone else's work

cheers
Ian

fred.

He might be worth contacting. I think clib has worked on figures for him too?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

urbancohort

Great idea! If you do make a range, can I ask you look at doing 10mm scale flags for the Sedgemoor Campaign please? I am too damn lazy to paint my own but they are subtly different from those of a few years later when the same regiments were in William's service in Ireland?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

SV52

Not an easy one that.  Stuart Reid produced handy little volumes for around that time.  I believe the convention was that where the colonel was the proprietor of a regiment the colours/standard/guidon would reflect the colonel's personal arms, using ground colours and emblems.  Fairly straightforward for Dukes and the like but more difficult for those a bit further down the social ladder; e.g.

Not claiming this to be in any way historically accurate.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Sandinista

I hope to send some sheets of dragoon guidons to Leon later this week

Cheers
Ian

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sandinista

Quote from: paulr on 02 July 2017, 05:42:31 AM
Once you finish celebrating ;)
:D
I have tickets for the decider, if we win that then I will really be celebrating  <:-P

Cheers
Ian