Lead Mountain Organization

Started by d_Guy, 12 June 2017, 04:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is your Lead Mountain Organized? (Vote explainations are encouraged but not required)

Organized?
2 (7.7%)
The summit is organized
2 (7.7%)
It is very organized, cataloged and prioritized in a spreadsheet
4 (15.4%)
I can usually lay my hands on what I want.
13 (50%)
I only remember part of what I have
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: 26 June 2017, 04:40:43 PM

d_Guy

We haven't had a poll for awhile and reading Mr. Lemmy' post about his return to an old project inspired this one.

I voted "The summit is organized".

I have a priority shelf with things primed and on sticks - limited space - so only a few units and buildings.

The ready reserve is organized into units and placed in labeled plastic deli containers. These are stacked five or six high (five stacks at the moment) and placed along the edge of the painting table ( which has one or two active projects going on.)

The rest (and this is a large but fluid and indeterminate quantity) is in a pile of boxes, bags, envelopes, containers, tubes, etc - indifferently labeled - and placed against the junction of a bookcase and the painting table to keep it from collapsing.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leman

I can lay my hands on what I want as I have recently invested in a fair few Really Useful Boxes, rendering most of the tool boxes redundant. I am also organising my scenic items into e.g. 10mm North East France/Germanic buildings, water features etc.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

DFlynSqrl

"I can usually lay my hands on what I want"

Each project has its own box/container.  15mm sci-fi here.  15mm WWII here.  Etc...

I could have picked the next more organized option ["It is very organized, cataloged and prioritized in a spreadsheet"], but I generally only do a spreadsheet of the active project.  Total figures...% assembled...% painted... % completed of the total project... :-B

Ithoriel

What is this "organised" of which you speak?? :)

Just in process of decanting things from assorted cardboard boxes, shortbread tins, biscuit boxes, tupperware tubs, etc. into Really Useful Boxes. It will look tidier, not sure it will be better organised. 
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Terry37

Good question and one that should result in some interesting posts.

Understanding I primary play HOTT my armies are usually only 1-15 elements maybe, plus a Stronghold. Once I finish an army I usually keep it in some frm of box that will hold he army, and make for quick and easy packing to attend game days.

Unfinished armies are sorted, and each element is labeled and put into a separate small bag with the entire army then kept in a larger zip lock type bag and labeled.

My final category is my extras, and I ave more than a few of those, mainly because my appetite is always bigger than..... These are sorted primarily by genre or period and kept in larger zip lock bags, with a few in some old show boxes. I keep all of the bags of extras hen in a larger box, but it is really overflowing with bags of extras.Not really ideal as I often spend an untold amount of time digging through my extras for that just certain figure I am looking for.

Figures that fit across multiple genre I usually just stick that bag in one of the larger bags and hope I can remember where I put it!!! Not an easy thing to ask at my age too I must say!

Figures I am working on are just set on my painting table until I finish them. Then I finish an element I move it to an empty space or shelf until I am ready to base the finished army.

So the whole process is sort of a best plan for now, and it is workable.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

fsn

I have "Really Useful" boxes which are labelled with the project - and I keep the "done" away from the "lead mountain".

What I do find is that I have several stacks of boxes, and I forget what's at the bottom.

Every now and a gain I have a root and find something I'd forgotten, and get all enthused again. 

I do have a spreadsheet on which I track my purchases.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

The summit is organized.

Things i'm working on are organized, the rest is All over the place. Still redecorating so that explains It a bit...

grahambeyrout

Usually I know what I have, but last year I found a strange box in a dark corner of the attic, it contained a selection of painted 15mm oddments including 10 wagons, 4 elephants, and 32 figure Greek phalanx. I have no idea where they came from. but can only assume that were mine (the poor painting certainly was) and that they moved with me 25 years ago and were completely forgotten. I was like a child in a toyshop.

fred.

I had a big sort out last year - as it was getting stupidly hard to find stuff. This consolidated like items together in the same box, mainly Really useful ones, but also box files.

This process did find a bunch of stuff I'd forgotten about, and highlighted the shear number of ongoing projects I have. At that stage further organisation seemed a bit much!!

I do feel that I could do with an digital method of publishing my projects and progress on them. The painting diary threads are great for documenting progress, but they are not a great method of pulling all the bits of individual projects together. I do have a website, but its very out of date, and updating seems a bit of a chore now. But I do find having photos of my armies very useful in reminding myself of what I have!!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Subedai

I have a set of four stacked plastic drawers, one each for unpainted 6, 10, 15 and 25mm chaps. The 25mm is almost empty; the 15mm is about half full; the 10mm is three-quarters full but the 6mm has got to the overflowing stage. But the cruncher is that I have elements of nine different forces on my painting table!

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Steve J

I know where most of my stuff is in the attic, and pretty much what I have. However I do stumble across the odd set of minis within a pile that I forgot I had ordered!

pierre the shy

13 June 2017, 11:04:32 AM #11 Last Edit: 13 June 2017, 11:11:54 AM by pierre the shy
I can find most of my lead mountain OK, Most of its in a cupboard in various badly labelled boxes and containers.

Been having a bit of a reorganisation of my limited gaming space lately.....a few years ago I bought a couple of 6mm modern "job lots" of mainly H&R stuff for very good prices so been sorting through that recently - found I had still had enough Soviet kit to build about 3 more regiments - including 30 odd T-64's that mustn't have seen daylight for many years  ;)

Used to play a lot of Modern Spearhead games but most of the group that played have drifted off to other parts of NZ or gone overseas or just disappeared off my gaming radar.  Might be time for some further work on these guys   ;)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Well it's lead and plastic with some card....and sometimes I have NO IDEA what I have, particularly when a load of freebees turn up.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

jimduncanuk

Having just found a pair of painting sticks with 16 part painted figures last seen 30 years ago in a cupboard behind the telly I'm not sure what category would truly cover that.

The more recent stuff is well organised though.
My Ego forbids a signature.

d_Guy

Jim, I believe you are describing the classic summit organization.  ;)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on