How many can I squeeze on a base?

Started by Rupert of hentzau, 11 June 2017, 08:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

Quote from: SV52 on 12 June 2017, 10:16:57 AM
How big are the armies?  How many figures do you see yourself painting?  My 10mm armies are <> 180 figures per side working on number of battalions/regiments rather than figures per base; so as a solo gamer <> 400 odd per project is plenty for me.

This is a very good point - its worth thinking about what you need to get painted to get a playable game. If you have to paint too many figures then a project can easily stall. Once you start playing its much easier to add an extra unit (or two, or ten!)
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

SV52

Quote from: fred. on 12 June 2017, 12:20:54 PM
This is a very good point - its worth thinking about what you need to get painted to get a playable game. If you have to paint too many figures then a project can easily stall. Once you start playing its much easier to add an extra unit (or two, or ten!)

Dead on fred, that's basically how I like to work.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

SV52

To illustrate:

Flodden Scots <>184 figures:

Flodden English <> 137 figures:

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

grahambeyrout

I get a frontage of four 10mm figures  on a 25mm base for close order  marching Napoleonics,  but it can be tight, and different poses can be much more difficult. As it is I sometimes have to shave the bases a bit. Some other close order  troops are three to a 20mm frontage, and that is fairly comfortable. For ACW I went for three figures on a 25mm frontage and that works too. It is also more economical with fgures

Leman

One of my regular opponents and I work on the same principle. Amass enough to give a playable game, and as we become familiar with the rules we expand our armies. I am currently using this technique to get a playable tabletop game of To The Last Gaiter Button to see how the battle rules work. A division a side to start with, plus some attached cavalry.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Subedai

All my 10mm chaps are on three 60 x 40 bases per unit with the number denoting the type, so HC woulkd be in 5's on a base, while LC would be 3 or maybe 4. HI are two rows of 5 or 6, LI normally 8 or 9.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!