How many can I squeeze on a base?

Started by Rupert of hentzau, 11 June 2017, 08:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rupert of hentzau

Hi folks,

Just finalising my first order for some LOA figures.
( Thought I may take advantage of your shrivelling Pound post Election).

If I use a 50mm base, can I get
: 6 Infantry across? More?
: 5 Cavalry?

Trying to maximise the packs, but I feel the more figures per unit the better.

Cheers
Bryan
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Lol! 💷

I can fit 5 infantry and 5 cavalry across a 40mm base
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

I have some Spartan Hoplites 6-wide on a 40mm base, but those are very narrow figures. I was almost tempted to go three ranks (6/5/6) for these on a 40x20, to get that really dense look, but (wisely, I think)) decided on just the standard two.

Tend to stick to 5-wide for infantry, 4 for cavalry (on a standard 40mm base). Skirmish/loose order troops are much more widely spaced.

Cheers, Martyn
--

Leman

Closest period to that which I have is SYW. For infantry I have two ranks of four on a 25mm square base.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fred.

For my LoA, on 40mm wide bases. I normally have 4 infantry, occasionally 5 wide, it depends quite a bit on pose, the shooting figures are very narrow, as they are side on. But a lot of the standing ones are in a much wider pose.

Cavalry I have only gone 3 wide, but I have 2 ranks in a W formation, so I think you could get 4 across if you wanted them in very close order. To a degree it depends on what look you want to go for. I often put some double sided tape on a base and have a play around to see what looks good for a given set of figures.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Westmarcher

Like Leman, my SYW figures are based on 1 inch square bases in 2 ranks, 4 in each rank (therefore, 8 to a base). Not only am I very happy with the close order look, the same square base size also allows me to base 3 horse figures.  See examples in this link:

http://honoursofwar.com/thread/362/close-run-thing-spittelwitz

However, as fred points out, pose is a big factor and, looking at the LoA figures in the catalogue, you might need slightly larger bases. Jim Duncan had a similar dilemma in February. Jim was exploring different ways to base his WSS figs which may be helpful to you. In his blog, see his February 2017 post, The Portable Wargame - First Quandary, here:

http://jim-duncan.blogspot.co.uk

Probably the best thing to do is experiment yourself and decide not only what is best for you but also in a way that will give you the greatest flexibility for use with numerous rules sets. Good luck!  :)

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

TBH I took my lead from the Old Glory 10mm Prussian musketeers which I bought. They come as a five figure casting, 25mm wide. This gives a superb look for linear warfare. Unfortunately I had already based up some Austrian fusiliers as only three figures to a 25mm frontage, and I don't think they look nearly as good. This is why I changed to four figures when using Pendraken figures.

Pendraken four figure frontage:

Old Glory five figure frontage;

Two three figure frontage Austrian units:

One day I will rebase the three figure units as I add battalion guns.

Westmarcher

If I had known you were going to post these pics one minute after my post, Andy, I wouldn't have bothered posting the link for mine. D'oh! ;D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

The more the merrier I always say. Whilst I was faffing about moving photos from the Bucket to the Forum you must have posted. I just sent the blighters on the way without checking.

d_Guy

Rupert,
I use 1" x 1" bases for LoA so roughly 25mm front - 6 foot (3 front, 3 rear). So 6 figures per 50mm front works fairly easily. I only do 2 horse per base but "boot-to-boot" could probably get 3 per stand.

Sleep with clean hands ...

Aksu

I use eight on a 30x30 mm base, four wide.

Cheers,
Aksu

Steve J

For a similar period I have gone 8 infantry per base in two ranks and three horses for medium to heavy cavalry, with two horses to denote light cavalry. Hope this helps?

Rupert of hentzau

Very inspiring set of posts there, I suspect the answer is to order more figures than I think I need, and then play around with the placement of the figures. Really looking forward to having a crack at these. Cheers
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Did we mention the 'rule of cool'?
Go with what looks good!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

SV52

How big are the armies?  How many figures do you see yourself painting?  My 10mm armies are <> 180 figures per side working on number of battalions/regiments rather than figures per base; so as a solo gamer <> 400 odd per project is plenty for me.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!