Venturing into the Wasteland 2

Started by Terry37, 09 June 2017, 05:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Coming along very nicely.

Cheers - Phil.

Terry37

Got some good  hobby time in today and not only worked on the final shaping of the front, but also worked on the rear area. It's starting to look like a car as opposed to a Land Rover or a truck.The long piece sticking out the back is to help create the trunk area, and will also be trimmed down and turned up to form the spoiler on the rear deck.

The front area is pretty much done as far as basic shaping, but the front spoiler will be added toward the end of the project as there is still a lot of filing and shaping to be done, so it's best to do it toward the end. The blower on the hood will also be done toward the end. I'll also add he tail pipes at that time as well.

It's time to start closing in on a paint scheme too, and I am leaning toward something along the looks of this cruiser.

Please forgive my terrible pictures, but photography is not one of my better skills.

More to follow,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Great stuff - I'm very impressed that you can create a good looking conversion by lots of cutting and filing of white metal.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Terry37

Moving forward again, got some hobby time in and smoothed out the rear deck and have cut the rear plate that will set up the rear spoiler, and also closes the gap left when I cut off the tail gate.

Here's where she stands at present, as the putty is still drying, but it does look like it drove through a big green swamp!

Will sand and file down the putty next and hopefully won't have to do too much more putty work.... but I always know there will still be a few pits and nicks that need puttying. But closing in on getting her ready to paint.

More to come,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Techno

Quote from: Terry37 on 13 June 2017, 11:48:38 PM
. but I always know there will still be a few pits and nicks that need puttying. Terry 

I have the same damn trouble ! (However careful I am.)  >:(

Really taking shape though.  :)

Cheers - Phil.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Phil - you are NEVER carful...all those injuries !!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

Blimey, that's come up good! I know you enjoy the process, Terry, but would it have been easier to start with a MicroMachine or similar?!

Although for 10mm it's probably awkward, at least in vaguely 20mm-ish-about scale you can pinch Matchbox cars :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Nice! Watching the step-by-step transformation is very interesting - like watching On of the "How Its Made" programs (and its starting to look like the picture.!

@Phil - did I understand you to say you repair YOUR nicks and cuts with green stuff? That's hard core!!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Terry37

ToxicPixie, I have had numerous suggestions to use Hot Wheels or Match Box vehicles, and they would certainly save a lot of steps. But I don't for several reasons.

First I prefer working with the soft white metal (although when I'm having to cut through it it doesn't seem so soft!).

Second, my being a HOTT player I like to stay to the designated base depths for each element type. The Hot Wheels or Match Box cars would be too big.

Third, I love working with Leon's models, and the other bits he also offers that can be so useful in doing conversions. When I get tot eh Road Warrior army there wil be more opportunity to do some really fun stuff!

Finally, I really enjoy seeing if I can pull of what I think I can. You know, some times the mind is not quite the reality.

By the way, I would have shared new pictures but we've had rain and overcast so not any really good light to allow for pictures. I'll take some shortly and post them. It's nearing the end of the creations stage and then to the painting table

Hope this helps.

Terry

toxicpixie

Yeah, I can imagine the size of Matchbox etc would be an issue! And more bits for the bits box can't hurt :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Terry37

OK, the body work is really done now, and I am now working on the blower assembly, which would not be something normal on a police cruiser, but then this is for the the post apocalyptic wasteland!!! Also, cutting and making the fittings to attach the exhaust pipes - there will be 4 of them going out the rear.

After that, it's paint time and order the custom decals to complete it. My plan right now it to have POLICE along the rear panel and on either side of the front hood/fender. ENFORCEMENT on the rear quarter panels, a star badge on each door and DBP in front of the rear wheels. That's the plan anyway, but we'll see after I get it painted and can take measurements.

I am also debating if I should add police lights on the roof or consider them on the dashboard as on unmarked cars over here???

Terry

d_Guy

Really taking shape, Terry, the spoiler really came out really well. Back in the day you could have designed concept cars for Detroit. :)

As to lights it already looks like a drug-runner, I'd catch'em by surprise.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Terry37

Thanks Bill. I'm pleased with the results so far..

I too am leaning toward the dashboard lights rather than on the roof. But with the black and white scheme??? Yeah, maybe??? But keep thinking of the "Interceptor" from the movies as my guide.

I do have several figure for Max, including the replica of him with the torn off right coat sleeve by Khurasan (but not called max), but I'll have him with dog, and both he and he dog will have a red scarf/rag as in Mad Max 2, or Road Warrior - Which ever title you know it by. He'll be a Hero All that said to say I won't be doing his car since I'll have him.

Guess I'll decide when I get to that point.

Thanks again,

Terry