Venturing into the Wasteland 2

Started by Terry37, 09 June 2017, 05:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

OK, I just received my latest order form Leon, and all I can say is that every bit I ordered is going to be absolutely spot on for my post apocalyptic effort. Therefore I plan to start today on a new conversion thread and will be adding to the new model here. As others get under way I'll start them as well.

There are just so many GREAT possibilities with what I just received from Leon that I can't wait. One for sure is going to a car a la  Nux using one of eh Italian staff cars! I am torn between starting that one today or my police cruiser (patrol car) that I'll make from one of the Land Rover models.

Anyway, stay tuned more shortly,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

sunjester

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Terry37

OK, here'st the first step in the process for me. Once I have the concept in mind I start seeking the bits and pieces I think I am going to need or want to use. The basic model begins life as the long wheel base Land Rover from the British Falklands listing. The supercharger will come from one of the guns form the smaller Sci-Fi Walker and I'll create a scoop to go on top.

Now you're probably wondering as to why the old 30 MM horse is there, and I could tell you that it's to insure plenty of horse power under the hood ..... but that wouldn't be right. No I will use pieces of metal from the horse to create the new roof and trunk (boot to some of you) That horse probably goes back to the late 60's or early 70's and since the base is missing, that tells me I've already used it to create something.

The process will be pretty straight forward. First I'll lower the windows and windshield (windscreen). Then I'll try to carefully remove the tire from the hood (bonnet) so I can use it on some other model. Next I will do a basic reshaping of the front and the rear end to make it look more like a muscle car. I'll slant the front area to resemble the one and only true "Interceptor". Then I'll cut a chunk of metal from the horse's body to create the new roof and rear section of the car. After that it's just putty any gaps and file and sand, add the blower assembly and make a final decision on the paint scheme.

I'll post progress reports as it goes.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

d_Guy

Always enjoy watching conversion projects since so many ideas are there for my appropriation!  Butchering the 30mm horse will be fun to watch. I share your joy about Pendraken products, having just got in an assortment to experiment with for War of the Worlds. Incidently I now know that the cover sitting above the land rover is apparently a tilt (least I think that's right)😀
Sleep with clean hands ...

Terry37

10 June 2017, 03:07:42 AM #6 Last Edit: 10 June 2017, 03:15:56 AM by Terry37
Hi Bill,

This is going to be a fun one. I've used old figures, often to make new pieces. I like the idea of trying to keep the medium the same - i.e. soft white metal , and over time have come to learn some tricks to make it work. The bases, like is missing from the horse, I usually cut off and then hammer very flat and thin which allows lots of  possibilities. In fact I'll be doing some of that when it comes to my Road Warrior cars and trucks.

I think a tilt is a soft cover while the one on this model is a hard top cover. I may use some of it to help remold the front end. I'll know tomorrow when I start reshaping the body before cutting out the new components.

I really like Leon's Tripods and have several of them myself for a down the road endeavor. I'll use Pete Duckworth's army lists for that one, but probably with one modification to change the Walkers to Knights instead of Dragons. Still rolling it around in my head is one reason I'm not going for it now, what with this years GBnUIT theme being Alien Invasion.

Hopefully more tomorrow,

Terry

fsn

Quote from: Terry37 on 10 June 2017, 12:27:10 AM
Now you're probably wondering as to why the old 30 MM horse is there, and I could tell you that it's to insure plenty of horse power under the hood ..... but that wouldn't be right. No I will use pieces of metal from the horse to create the new roof and trunk (boot to some of you) That horse probably goes back to the late 60's or early 70's and since the base is missing, that tells me I've already used it to create something.

The process will be pretty straight forward. First I'll lower the windows and windshield (windscreen). Then I'll try to carefully remove the tire from the hood (bonnet) so I can use it on some other model. Next I will do a basic reshaping of the front and the rear end to make it look more like a muscle car. I'll slant the front area to resemble the one and only true "Interceptor". Then I'll cut a chunk of metal from the horse's body to create the new roof and rear section of the car. After that it's just putty any gaps and file and sand, add the blower assembly and make a final decision on the paint scheme.
:o
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Really looking forward to seeing more updates on this project 8)

Terry37

Got some work done on redoing the body work, and in looking at the model again I think I can manage without using any of the horse, or not as I was expecting anyway. I studied quite a few pictures of Dodge Chargers, Chevy Cameros and older Ford Mustang Fastbacks to better visualize how I can make the body look more like a muscle car.

This is only the first cut at redoing the body and most of the rear portion is still to be done. You can see I have cut the hard top that comes with it to make a more fastback look to the model, but may once I get the top glued on I'll try to  create a small trunk area. I do plan on adding a spoiler wing in the back. I still need to cut a piece of scrap metal to fill in the front end and then do the final shaping there. And probably a little putty work to smooth the front fender line.

So here are two pictures to give you an idea of the progress.

URL=http://s257.photobucket.com/user/terry37photos/media/Post%20Apocalyptic/IMG_2112_zpsifbp4zqh.jpg.html][/URL]
This first picture shows the various pieces so far - body, roof and blower sans the scoop.

This one will give a very rough idea of how it's going to look. To point out some of what's been done - the tire on the hood (bonnet) has been removed, the windows and windshield (windscreen) have been lowered, the rear body has been slightly shortened by removing the tailgate, the front fenders have the initial curving and reshaping done, and the lower body has been reshaped to a more rounded look.

Once the new roof is glued in place I'll reshape the rear fenders, and the rear facing, as I'll also do that for the front end. The blower needs to be reduced in size and the scoop made. But those will done as work progresses.

There's a lot more to do on this one, but I'll keep posting project pictures.

Terry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Have you looked at the BTR152 (MDV10)?

Think that would fit in with your Wasteland with very little modification.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

Appreciate the suggestion, and I have indeed looked at MDV10, and will be using MDV11 (the covered version) as the "War Rig" sort of truck for my Road Warrior army Stronghold (HOTT rules require the defender to have a stronghold/camp, which is limited to the size base it can fit on - I use a 60 MM x 80 MM base).  So since the Law will have an HQ building, The Survivors a compound gate of old tires, corrugated steel siding and shipping containers, and the Creepers a ruined city building, I needed something that seemed to fit for a nomadic crazed gang of road thugs. So taking from Mad Max Fury Road I am going with a sort of "War Rig" using the covered BTR 152, with a trailer fuel pod behind (made from the rear portion of one of the early British armored cars).

Although only the defender uses a Stronghold, you never know who the defender will be in HOTT until a die is rolled, so each army needs to have one in case the die roll designates them the defender (lower number on a D6). The Stronghold is a stationary element but if lost to the enemy ends the game with the defender losing. I've played HOTT for many years and have only won one game taking a Stronghold. Building Strongholds is great fun, and allow for an opportunity to create some sort of little diorama.

How's that for the long answer! Again, I am always open to thoughts or suggestions, so thank you!

Terry

Steve J

Nice progress and look forward to more updates 8)

Terry37

Sunday's are busy days for me so I don't usually get much hobby time. I did get in about an hour or so on this model and spent that time working on the initial reshaping of the windshield/windscreen, and making and gluing a piece of scarp metal in the gap in the front end (came form the base of an old 6 MM horse I'd scarped part of the body from previously for some project).

I'll let that bit dry well over night and start really shaping the front end tomorrow, and work some more on the windshield/windscreen to do away with the flat look of a Land Rover for a more curved one. If I get enough done on the vehicle then I'll glue the new top in place and when that's dry I'll start shaping the aft portion.

I am not trying to make any particular or specific car out of it, just something that looks the part. After all, after 1959 they stopped making cars with any real character anyway....although I do like the Dodge Charger. After I retired I worked part time for an auto auction for ten years as a driver and often got the opportunity to drive a Charger - and let me tell you....they do travel!!!! Even at my age I would get into so much trouble if I had one!!!! I also like the last Thunderbird, but really only in the sky blue color as that looks vintage!

OK, let's see what tomorrow brings and if I get anything done I'll add an update.

I'll close for now saying thank you for the kind comments and encouragement! This is a great forum and I really like the people here. I am sure I am missing a lot of inside type stuff among those of you who have been around awhile, but my time will come.

Terry