Anybody had a look at Furioso Renaissance Rules?

Started by GrumpyOldMan, 06 June 2017, 01:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

Just saw these advertised and was wondering if anybody had any experience with them. I seem to be only able to find the article by the author:-

http://alternative-armies.blogspot.com.au/2017/06/furioso-renaissance-warfare-rules-in.html

https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/15mm-renaissance-altuos-range

Just relying on memory the Altuos figures look like the old Asgard range?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

fred.

Not heard of them - but always interested in new rules for this period.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

DFlynSqrl

They just became available, so it will probably take a little time to see some reviews.  I am curious though.

d_Guy

Quote from: DFlynSqrl on 06 June 2017, 10:06:26 PM
They just became available, so it will probably take a little time to see some reviews.  I am curious though.

Agree, they are just out. I saw the pre-publish announcement on TMP and tried to find more info but was not successful. It's certainly in the era for which I collect rules but as yet don't want to part with the £8 for the PDF until I know a bit more.

Glad you got this thread stared Grumpy - maybe something will turn up.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

Yes, I didn't expect many reviews but I thought a few AAR or explanations on the mechanics might be handy. I found the activation description a bit confusing ie all the activations or non-activations and order of movement are known at the beginning of the turn (but then again I find many things confusing).

Some parts sound interesting but I'm with d_Guy, my £8 will be staying in my pocket until I get more of an idea. It must have been playtested, a few AARs from the testers would have been handy

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Leman

Considered the photos as well as the info. Firstly I couldn't find anything new to inspire me. Secondly the photos looked as though they were DBx based, which is never dense enough for me in this period. I have invested a lot in TtS for my 28s, and in 10mm am now considering POW Renaissance as POW are, in general, a good set, and the basing, particularly for pike, is dense and deep.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

kentreuber

I have a copy and have read through it, but haven't had the opportunity to play them yet. Here are some mechanisms:

Base sizes:
15mm and smaller figures: 40mm x 20mm (infantry), 40 x 30 (cavalry and artillery).
28mm: 80 x 30 (infantry) or 80 x 50 (other).

Unit sizes:
Skirmishers: 3 bases
Shot, knights: 4 bases
Reiters: 6 bases
Pikes: 4, 8, 12, or 16 bases (always 4 stands deep, but 1-4 stands wide)
Pike and shot: 4 pike bases, 4 shot bases
Tercios: 8 pike bases, 8 shot bases :D
Activation: 1 die is rolled for every unit on both sides, and then modified by the unit's quality. Units with the highest modified results move first, which means that both sides' units with "6" rolls will move before any "5" units. There are tie breakers to determine which side moves all their 6's first.

Combat: Buckets of dice. A 5-6 always hits. Modifiers add and subtract to the number of dice rolled (rather like Warband).

Morale: Buckets of dice. Roll 1d6 per unit combat factor; a unit passes if any 5-6 is scored.

The sample scenario requires an 80x80cm table for ~10 units per side, but I couldn't find any recommendations for other scenarios.

paulr

Welcome kentreuber  :-h

Thanks for a useful summary
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Thanks for the summary, kentreuber. I will also be interested in hearing what you think after you've played it a bit.
Welcome to the forum - it is both a fun and funny place.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

GrumpyOldMan

Hello kentreuber

Thanks for the info. Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan