The Secret of the Black Stars

Started by Panzer-Kalle, 04 June 2017, 12:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer-Kalle

04 June 2017, 12:49:44 PM Last Edit: 04 June 2017, 12:56:18 PM by Panzer-Kalle
I have some decals. There are  black stars for US vehicles WWII.

Anybody Infos why they were at use?

Cheers Kalle

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The only use of black stars by the US was on 7th Army cammoed vehicles just prior to the Merdec schemes, when that army used their own.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Subedai

Could it be that the white stars were too bright during the night?

(Truthfully I don't have a clue)

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Orcs

I saw an article many years ago in Military modelling  tat suggested to get a more realistic look. You first painted the ae where the decal was supposed to be the correct colour. Prior to painting te main colours or camo. You then applied the decal as a mask end pinted the vehicle. You then removed the decal - not sure how to reveal a more realistic star that looked like it had been painted on the vehicle.

Perhaps they were for this use?
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Heedless Horseman

Have seen b/w pics of U.S vehicles where the white star has been overpainted to be less visible or less of an aiming point. The overpaint appears much darker than base colour. This could be fresh olive drab paint instead of faded...or black paint...or could maybe be tar?
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

FierceKitty

I believe the Minbari warship destroyed by John Sheridan was called the Black Star.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

Yep, the original stars were often, but not always, over painted as they proved to be perfect aiming points for German gunners. In photos the new coat of paint looks darker than the original, so could be as Heedless Horseman has said. Hope this helps?

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Wulf

It was pointed out in a recent YouTube walkaround of a Sherman that the nice bright white US stars were placed right on the ammo racks...

Panzer-Kalle

08 June 2017, 08:26:35 AM #9 Last Edit: 08 June 2017, 08:36:23 AM by Panzer-Kalle
A big white star sometimes with a circle around is a good aiming point for enemy at-gunner!

At the polish campaign the german army had this problem with the big white cross. They changed this soon with the black/white "Balkenkreuz".

There had been some rules about warfare. I know the "Haager Landkriegsordnung". Think there was a rule that vehicles with firepower should have signs showing the nationality. German transportvehicle didn´t have any.

Simply overpainting wouldn´t be correct but sometimes some mud could be just at the markings! ;)

This might be the reason for this black stars?

Cheers Kalle