Bending white metal

Started by Sunray, 04 June 2017, 11:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Conversion query.  Has anyone ever heated and bent Pendraken white metal ?  I am thinking about gently heating and bending a figure's arm to create a new pose.

The other option is to cut under the armpit, bend and glue.

All experiences welcome. 

FierceKitty

I've found just gently bending a swordarm for a more irregular look has usually worked; obviously, within the limits of the metal's tolerance.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

I've found that some of the metal is more flexible than others. I think, though I can't be certain, that the newer metal is more flexible. I've bent some stuff cold, but on other conversions have part cut, bent and then superglued.

Sunray

Thanks for the prompt response.  I tried to convert BRF6 (BEF surrendering ) into a post war helicopter marshal- But with even gentle pressure the arm snapped, hence my idea of using a little heat.

d_Guy

Never tried it either, but always looking for new ways to do mods. Were you proposing to use something like a soldering pen as a heat source? If you try an experiment please let us know the result!
Sleep with clean hands ...

Sunray

Quote from: d_Guy on 04 June 2017, 02:08:11 PM
Never tried it either, but always looking for new ways to do mods. Were you proposing to use something like a soldering pen as a heat source? If you try an experiment please let us know the result!

"Spot on"  Bill - a 40ww soldering pen was one tool I had in mind, as is a cartridge fire lighter.  If anyone is  trying this at home make sure the figure is secured in  fire proof grips, vice or pliers.

The metal does not need to reach melt point, just enough to be pliable, so I assume that not a lot of heat required.  If this is a first on the forum, then, like a good ATO (Felix), I will keep notes.  ;)

d_Guy

Excellent Dr. j!
I had one other thought - since the white metal is a great heat conductor - perhaps putting a wet tissue around the figure as its clamped in the vise?  This would not only protect the figure but help isolate the heat to the bend point.  Bon chance.

Techno

That's quite a difficult question to answer "100%", James.

Depends on the actual 'make-up" of the metal...which probably varies from ingot to ingot of the 'stuff' that gets put into the melting pot.

Some figures will probably be quite amenable to bending.....others will be far more 'brittle' and very prone to snap.

Softening it with a 'soldering iron' will probably be quite difficult, as you'll probably find that the metal goes from being 'solid and snappable' to.....OOPS there's a bit of melted solder on the worktop.......in a micro second of time.

If I have to bend an arm on a figure, I'd tend to flatten the bit of the arm, I want to bend, with a pair of fine needle nosed pliers....bend it....then putty round the bit that I've flattened to 'make good'.

Cheers - Phil.

Leon

Would heating it in a cup of boiling water make it more pliable?  The figures are quite easy to bend and move when they come out of the mould and are still warm, but the longer out of the mould (hours, weeks, years) the metal seems to get more brittle.  20 year old figures won't bend much at all, new figures should be pliable to an extent.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sunray

04 June 2017, 08:38:55 PM #9 Last Edit: 04 June 2017, 08:54:42 PM by Sunray
Ah what other forum could you learn such tricks of the trade.  Keep this up and we will have soon have a Pendraken figure conversion competition !

Some  of my first wargames (50+ years ago) were fought with Airfix original WW2 Russians and Germans.   Inspired by Charles Grant, I took one Russian  running with an SMG and cut/heated his arm to lower the weapon - he became a Senior NCO in a command group.  An officer with a raised pistol became a senior officer with a lower pistol.

Ah, Airfix at 2/- a box and Roco Minitanks at 2/6.  Those were the days !

Heedless Horseman

Have received 25mm stuff 'fresh from the mould'...great response time from the maker, but although the figs would have been fine when inspected, popping them straight into the bag and posted same day often resulted in serious distortion. A little care would often repair the bends if I didn't leave them too long. Think a soak in hot water may help. (REALLY old figures from same line but original manufacturer were much softer and could be bent about with less snapping...probably much more lead!)   :o
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

d_Guy

Quote from: Sunray on 04 June 2017, 08:38:55 PM
Ah what other forum could you learn such tricks of the trade.  Keep this up and we will have soon have a Pendraken figure conversion competition !
I suggest a head-swap category!  :D

fsn

05 June 2017, 08:40:18 AM #12 Last Edit: 05 June 2017, 08:42:09 AM by fsn
Prompted by this thread, I've tried gentle heating the required joint over a candle. Sort of works. Just need to work out the best way of holding the limb whilst it's hot.

Rare video of Techno swapping to his dancing head

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

Right- add candle power to the tool box.  Thanks Nobby.

I have ordered a pack of AW1 (Aussie officer, SLR at high port, pointing).  If you could bend the pointing arm, you could have an urban patrol squaddie.

Leon is posting my order as we speak.  8)

fsn

Haven't tried it, but I used to conduct surgery o plastic figures using a needle stuck in a cork, then heated in a candle flame.

Could get some direct heat on that way.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!