Top 5 tanks

Started by fsn, 03 June 2017, 09:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Is that the sixteenth or seventeenth time round Phil?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

25 June 2017, 10:24:37 AM #61 Last Edit: 25 June 2017, 10:32:50 AM by Westmarcher
Quote from: d_Guy on 25 June 2017, 01:42:33 AM
- just turned Seventy.  <:-P

Belated birthday greetings, Bill.  :O)

Quote from: d_Guy on 24 June 2017, 01:18:18 PM
Welcome back Kitty, named a Baroque status marker after you.

Is that the one you re-cycled from the cat litter tray?   :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Orcs

They Bl**dy moved my Pension Age, I don't get mine till I am 67
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Roy

I'm not a big 'treadhead' but I do like to see these:-

Scorpion - as I grew up looking at them driving around Catterick Garrison
Challenger 1 - because they used to drive past my house before the MOD were told to stop, as they were ripping the road surface to shreds!

Other than that. Pass.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Chris Pringle

Just like all cars look the same since the Ford Sierra, so all tanks look basically the same since the T-34 showed how to get the right balance of firepower-protection-mobility. Personally I prefer tanks that are ugly and angular and full of character, from before people knew how to build the things properly. The acme of that has to be:

#1 Panzer IIIN. Check out the stubby little gun and cumbersome Schuerzen. She's gorgeous.

And along similar lines:

#2 Toldi IIA. Skirt armour again. Also she tickles my magyarophilia and my love of the obscure. Sadly the only ones left are at Kubinka, but imagine my joy at finding examples of her close cousin the Landsverk L-60 both at Bovington (ex-Dominican Republic) and at Collins Barracks in Dublin (Irish army).

#3 LT vz. 38 (Lehký tank vzor 38), better known as Panzer 38(t). I'm a sucker for anything eastern European. Pz38(t) comes with the bonus of a huge multitude of variants, some sleek and lethal like the Hetzer, but most looking like the ungainly bodge jobs they were.

#4 Churchill Crocodile. Slow, clumsy and brutal. 'Nuff said.

#5 T-35. I had to put a multi-turreted one in the list somewhere, and this is the biggest and best aka worst example of a wonderfully bad idea.

It's really hard to pick five from so many, and on any given day I might name some other triumph of misguided tank design. But these give you an idea of my personal predilections.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

fsn

Absolutely, Mr Pringle, that's the spirit! "Ugly and angular and full of character." I applaud that sentiment.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!