Q of the Week: Importance of scenery?

Started by Leon, 25 October 2010, 04:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Following on from the scale of buildings discussion, how important is your scenery?  Can you quite happily game on a bit of cloth with books for hills, or do you take more time making the layout look good?  Can you accept a '3-foot' standard of painting, but not a 6mm house on a 10mm game?

Does it matter if you still enjoy the game?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sandinista

I can happily play on a bit of green cloth thrown over books, but for best enjoyment pretty scenery with pretty figures. For me part of the enjoyment of the game is the spectacle otherwise I would just play with counters on a map. I prefer to make my own scenery as it is cheaper and I think looks better than most current products on the market.

Maenoferren

I must admit I love making terrain, I dont do it as much as I want and like the figure painting I have a backlog of terrain building :-[
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

nikharwood

Goo question: I love decent terrain & the visual aesthetic is really important to me...but my terrain backlog is always much bigger than my figure one; I do seem to find it harder to get started on terrain: but once I get going, I'm always amazed how quickly I can get it all done...and I love it when it's on-table  8)

Pruneau

Decent terrain is a must.  I am always on the lookout for good battlecloths or -mats, currently very much interested in zuzzy battlemats but it's US only for now.  I'm starting WW2 and before I even acquired any 10 mm miniatures, I am working on houses, hills, a bridge, factory and  so on. So scenery is very important to me.
Boardgames: MMP ACW, ASL ᴥ BKC & SSOM - WW2 (In development) ᴥ Flying Lead - Sci-Fi: Shocktroops, Pulp, Spugs ᴥ WH - Greenskins, Dwarfs

http://hiording.blogspot.com - http://runequestfun.blogspot.com - http://secondsquadonme.blogspot.com

ʎɐqə ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎəʞ ɐ ʎnq ı əɯıʇ ʇsɐl əɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Maenoferren

Quotebut my terrain backlog is always much bigger than my figure one
my cunning plan is this NIK you reduce my figure backlog and I reduce your terrain one lol :D
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

capthugeca

Excellent figures which have been well painted deserve to battle on an equally good board so I can't play on a bit of cloth on top of books.
That's one of the great joys of the dungeon-system - excellent ready-made scenery too.  :)

Life is too important to be taken seriously.

nikharwood

Quote from: Maenoferren on 25 October 2010, 09:26:20 PM
my cunning plan is this NIK you reduce my figure backlog and I reduce your terrain one lol :D

Hmm...we could do a deal y'know  ;) :) 8)

Steve J

A good looking table to game upon is a must as far as I'm concerned.

Aart Brouwer

Tonight I will be playing a Napoleonic game with Adlers and some choice scenery. If pushed I would play without the elaborate scenery and a tablecloth and some books would be alright. Somehow the figures are more important to me than scenery, if only because the space they occupy is relevant to the rules - otherwise you could just play with counters. The general atmosphere is even more important. I love chess, but it requires a totally different setting. I couldn't play a wargame in total silence with a clock ticking by my side and a referee looking over my shoulder. Wargaming = fags & banter & drinks & food & good music & lame jokes & what have you.

But hey, I'm a sucker for good terrain and I spend quite some time on it.

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

nikharwood

QuoteWargaming = fags & banter & drinks & food & good music & lame jokes & what have you.

OED definition right there  8)

Nosher

Depends on the game. BKC/CWC etc lots of good looking terrain to break up lanes of fire etc. FoG/WMA etc less is more, but it still needs to at least look the part.

Books under a green cloth >:( reminds me of kids scrabbling round on their bedroom floor with airfix figures and subbuteo football pitches inverted - hence why I have such a dreadful spine now!
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Paint it Pink

Scenery makes a good game look like a great game. You can never have too much scenery.
Unlike some people, I feel under no obligation to pretend that only one war-gaming scale is true, and that any others 6mm/10mm/15mm/25mm are mistaken; or that I know better than people themselves what is right for them to use. The point is precisely for all war-gamers to decide for themselves.

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

angel barracks

I paint my 6mm terrain the same way I paint 25mm terrain.
1 roof tile at a time, one cobblestone at a time, 1 brick at a time, no drybrushing for cheaty quickness, each bit hand painted and super pretty.

That should answer that!

:o