A question of scale?

Started by Rupert of hentzau, 28 May 2017, 10:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

I use both 6mm and 10mm buildings depending on the size of battle. Currently I have the battle of Lobositz set up on a 4' square table with three 10mm settlements on the battlefield. Previously I fought a similar SYW battle on a 3' square field. The settlement footprint was smaller and so 6mm buildings were used. Please ignore any reference to Wendy houses and just go with what feels right for the battle.

I'm not a great fan of massive flags, other than the early Renaissance. For my SYW armies I actually use 6mm flags and I think they do the job, and they certainly fit the poles on the 10mm figures.

6mm flags and buildings.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mollinary

Nice photo to illustrate the point. I too use 6mm flags occasionally, for my 10mm Prussians and Bavarians for 1866 and 1870. They fit the poles well, and give a good look.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

DanJ

I generally use 15mm flags for my ancients and medievals without many scale issues.  I've also used 28mm lance pennons as 10mm flags and source most of my flags from Little Big Men.

There are also a couple of online resources with have a huge variety of flags which can be down loaded and printed at whatever size/scale seems appropriate.  Unfortunately I can't find a link at the moment but Google is your friend.

For buildings I normally use 10mm but always put down a felt template to represent the scale footprint of the built up area.  That way the building are just scenery that can be removed to facilitate troop movements and I can count all troops on the template as being in a built up area without having to decide which building they are in.