Goodbyeee

Started by JeffNNN, 26 May 2017, 09:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffNNN

This all started with a different set of rules that Tony Hughes (gildasfacit and Tiny Tin Troops) and I have been using for biggish Early WW1 battles. We have been using Bloody Picnic and needed a range of markers, so we decided to use singly based figures. I realised that I could use these for some solo skirmish games as long as I added a few extra bits such as LMG and Flamethrower teams. We're using the Pendraken range.

A quick look on that there interweb turned up a couple of sets of rules and I decided to try these. They seem to play ok though, unless my printer has eaten a page or two there are no movement rules about rough ground, obstacles or visibility in same. Easy enough to sort out though.

My game pitted 3 Italian squads (one Bersaglieri, one Arditi and one attached French regulars) against an Austro/Hungarian squad with an attached German team including an LMG. The Austrians were defending. I used 6 markers, placed in logical defensive positions, to provide locations for the 2 squads and the officer. Checked what was there (or not)at each  marker when enemy got in close rifle range.

The Bersaglieri and the French bogged down against the Austrian Squad and the German LMG with both sides taking steady casualties and surviving morale throws. Meanwhile the Arditi swept forward on the Italian right flank ready to turn the Austrian left, defended only by an officer with a pistol esconsed in a church. The German inf 4 men strong were relocated to the church just in time to meet and be destroyed by the Arditi in close combat.

It looked like an Italian win as they swept forward to take out the LMG, but at the last moment it pivoted round, recovered from being pinned and gunned down the two knife and pistol armed Arditi nearest to it. The Arditi's morale broke, they fled and the rest of the force beat a stubborn retreat. Iron Crosses for the LMG team.

Will post some pics if I can figure out how to downside and do it.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sounds like a great scrap
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sunjester

Sounds like a fun game, can't wait to see some pictures.

Leman

That sounds to have worked extremely well. Surely a couple of posthumous awards of the Order of Cornetto for the two brave Arditi - bravissimo!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

JeffNNN

Quote from: Leman on 27 May 2017, 11:55:51 AM
That sounds to have worked extremely well. Surely a couple of posthumous awards of the Order of Cornetto for the two brave Arditi - bravissimo!
The Pendraken Arditi are a mix of pistol and knife armed men with body armour and smg troops (well that's how I'm classifying that odd double barrelled weapon they use). The two who charged were the knife armed ones, their comrades and the remaining Bersaglieri had done their bit by pinning the LMG team but they then threw double one and shook it off. LMGs get 3 shots per move but if first one kills then second one is "lost" while 3rd shot can be on new target. Both chargers went down, despite the body armour and the ensuing morale throw,  50% losses, did for them. Problem for the Arditi is they are only effective at short range/close quarters so need support. Time to paint those mountain guns.

The game took about an hour plus a bit of setup time.

fsn

Quote from: JeffNNN on 27 May 2017, 01:42:54 PM
well that's how I'm classifying that odd double barrelled weapon they use

Villar Perosa?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

JeffNNN

Yes, seen it in a few museums , including Rovereto. Think smg is a fairer classification than LMG.

JeffNNN

Quote from: sunjester on 27 May 2017, 08:06:31 AM
Sounds like a fun game, can't wait to see some pictures.
Sadly I used my iPad for the photos, but it's on such strange security settings that I don't seem to be able to manipulate them or downside them to meet the forum limits, nor does the forum give a resising option. It just says "too big, sod off".

Next time I'll use my phone instead. Think my Pendraken painting will look better on low resolution to be honest.

Need to get more Italian markers/skirmish troops painted up.

Been fascinated by that front for some time. Some years ago, when staying on Lake Garda I went on a wine tasting coach trip. We stopped for a walking tour and shopping visit in Rovereto. About half way round we passed this castle and Guide said it was WW1 museum. Off I went and nearly missed coach to rest of tour. Just made it and the wine was very nice too.