Venturing into the Wasteland

Started by Terry37, 25 May 2017, 11:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Terry,
At the moment, since the details aren't  highlighted yet, it reminds me of my old 1979 VW camper. I didn't have a 37mm cannon however  :(  :P
Look forward to seeing it detailed in sunlight.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fsn

Quote from: d_Guy on 30 May 2017, 04:28:46 AM
At the moment, since the details aren't  highlighted yet, it reminds me of my old 1979 VW camper. I didn't have a 37mm cannon however  :(  :P
What did it have? Gatling gun? 75mm RCL? Flamethrower?    :P
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

Interesting comparison Bill. I did do a little searching for your VW bus and actually found a picture of it. Yep, it is indeed very similar!!! Probably the only difference is mine will have police decals on the side  :)

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

d_Guy

Quote from: fsn on 30 May 2017, 07:36:16 AM
What did it have? Gatling gun? 75mm RCL? Flamethrower?    :P

No - just the usual Appalachian load out.

d_Guy

Terry37

Not really much to see yet, but I took a picture this morning of the work I did last night. Today I will do the highlights and any final detailing I want to do and then prepare it for the decals. Once the decals are applied I feel it will really take on the appearance I am wanting, and not just look like a big black blob.

More to follow,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Techno

Looking very promising, Terry.

Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Oooh! Yes please ...

No. No.  I'll stick to a pint of bitter.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Terry37

One last picture before the decals are applied and it's ready to go and smash road warrior gangs out in the wasteland!!! All hard edges have been highlighted, some additional details done, and the tires have been given a really thin wash of a color called Mississippi Mud around the outer edges. I've sprayed on the gloss coat and in the morning will apply the decals, and after they've had a bit to set and dry I'll spray a couple of flat coats and take some more pictures.

Terry

Steve J

Looking good and the decals should bring it to life.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Am doing it wrong?

I always apply decals before weathering and varnishing.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: fsn on 01 June 2017, 08:14:44 AM
Am doing it wrong?

I always apply decals before weathering and varnishing.

You always do it wrong ! No - that is the order to do it in, but there is a possibility of removing the expensive decal in the weathering process, so adding after is safer.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Terry37

Interesting thoughts about decals before or after weathering. I do all of my paint work before decals, and then  if necessary to have any weathering that should affect the decal I go back and add it.  I will add the first thin coat of clear flat first so the decals is preserved and that also makes for a better base for the paint to adhere to than the gloss coat. I also use very, very thin paint, almost just dirty looking water to do my shading and highlighting - the shading I don't do with an ink wash.

There's not really much weathering on this one as I want to preserve the black-ness of it to make it look more imposing. Plus the Law is still the most civilized of the four armies so should reflect some semblance of cleanliness. Most of the highlighting is done to remove the too much black-ness of the vehicle, and to help give it depth and dimension.

I'll be adding the decals shortly and yes, I agree that's when it will really look the part. Pictures shortly.

Terry