Proposition for suppression

Started by barbarian, 25 May 2017, 07:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbarian

My rule proposition : If you receive a number of hits BEFORE saves (for armour or terrain) superior or equal to your Hit value, you are automatically suppress.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

If this is the only way to suppress troops then infantry and artillery in the open are either fine or dead but never suppressed - seems odd to me.

If in addition to existing method then it seems an unnecessary complication.

Could you expand on this, give some idea as to why you think this is needed?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

barbarian

I don't know if this is the right solution but Suppression always felt wrong in this game : it was the main effective tactic in WWII (Suppress and assault) but it doesn't seem to work in this game due to the suppression being tied to a throw (and after hits).
Am I the only one finding it was not really working ?

Ithoriel

Even one hit on a unit in the open gave you a 50/50 chance of suppression - worked for us.

Interested in other views on this - any takers?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

Only time we'd had suppression issues was dug in troops - the battle evidence points that (in game terms) dug in troops would be hard to kill, but could be suppressed reasonably easily - they hug their cover but good. You have to winkle them out with close assault/flamethrowers even if they're not really combat effective anymore whilst the fire keeps them down (suppressed, in BKC terms).

Unfortunately BKC makes it very very hard to keep troops heads down if they're in cover (eg urban areas, trenches etc), as the difficulty in hitting (sixes) the getting suppression (sixes on whatever few hits you got) was too hard - you were actually much more likely to kill them first!

In the open, no probs. Like you say Ithoriel, it's a fifty-fifty even on one hit. Nasty.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

barbarian

I am not talking about in the open where infantry gets mow down pretty easily ( as it should be).
An easy fix : suppressing is always on 4+
Easy to remember, no new rule.
Any thought ?

Kiwidave

Our approach in the past has been that units hit 2 or more times by artillery are auto-suppressed. It's been a while since I've played, so I can't remember if that's just units in the open, or all cover.

This could easily be extended to all fire, all cover.

Shedman

I think suppression works fine in BKC

We do the same as KiwiDave - auto-suppressed on 2 hits - but that's probably not surprising as came out of the same "School" of BKC/FWC

What I don't like in BKC3 is the Veteran / Green opp-fire / response fire suppression rule where Vets are always suppressed on 4+ and Greens on 6

I can appreciate the real-world rationale but in game terms it makes no sense.

Schlesien

I do 4 or more hits by artillery are auto-suppressed.  Not a fan of tons of rolls for artillery resolution.  Really slows down the game.

King Rat

Hi there
I haven't played BKC for a couple of years and so have been out of the loop a bit. Only just joined this forum and been reading up on all the posts I have missed. I agree absolutely with toxicpixie that troops in hard cover are almost impossible to suppress in BKC2. This was the biggest thing we disliked in the rules. Our solution was to have troops suppressed on 5 or 6 regardless of cover, which worked better. We then took it a step further by saying that elite troops were only suppressed on a 6, conscripts on 4, 5 or 6. This worked well and could be applied to all troop types including armour. For game purposes we adjusted points values up or down by 20% for elite or conscript units. This was a simple house rule and it not only solved the problem but gave us more interesting troop variations.

Dr Dave

We always link it to "morale". Roll for unsaved hits.
Poor suppressed on 4+
Elite or tough on 6.  etc

That way we cover the quality of the men as well as their command via the Command roll.

Works fine for us.

Itinerant Hobbyist

I definitely won't implement the veterans suppress easier than greens. I would agree they keep their head more wisely thuan green troops, but I would argue they're more aware of the battlefield situation than the greens and this aren't "suppressed" as easily.

And I agree that getting them dig out of buildings is tough. I like the ideas thrown around regarding changing suppression.

And I've always auto suppressed for arty after 1+ hits.