landing in normandy (with USE ME wwII )

Started by petercooman, 22 May 2017, 12:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

22 May 2017, 12:44:21 PM Last Edit: 22 May 2017, 12:58:16 PM by petercooman
Had a little game yesterday, to break in the new board.

Used USE ME WW II rules with the optional squad activation.

Will not go into a full battlereport but will give some highlights!

battlefield looked like this:

[/quote]

German defenders are made up out of 2 squads of 10, a pak 40, two 75mm infantry guns, an mg 42, 4 engineers , a panzerschrek team and a comand team.

pak 40 in the concrete bunker, mg42 and one of the squads' mg 34's in the log bunker. Second squad split up with one half (and the mg34) in the ruined building covering the beach exit, and the other half at the beach behind the wall on the right. infantry guns are dug in. Engineers with panzerfausts and flamethrower waiting behind the hill and the panzerschrek team oin ambush in a crater in the beach exit.

The british: 7 landing craft with :
3 x 1 sherman
2 x 1 infantry section and a weapon team (1 lmg,1piat)
1 x infantry section and CIC with radio operator
1 x mortar team with lmg and piat team

The landing craft are made from paper and come from the juniorgeneral site

Note: black cube = dead, red = struck and orange = winged

first turn started badly, with only two craft reaching the shore. as i randomly roll for wich craft, the one with the support teams showed up, wich got peppered by concentrated fire (not being helped by the fact the current pushed the craft right in front of the mg 42)

Next turn saw more infantry arrive, and again the current pushed one boat in front of the log bunker  :-X
Really bad start!!!

The other side of the board got beat up by the infantry guns.

But the british pushed on towards the exit

an assault on the left side got rid of the anti-infantry fire there (behind the walls)

the infantry dispatched the panzer shrek

casualties are mounting

and more are falling on the beach, but the british believe they have made it past the bunkers.

but they didn't count on a counter attack! the flamethrower hits home!

the bunkers are starting to take damage while the troops are getting in short supply! Luckily another landing craft with troops appears (on a roll of 6 at the beginning of a turn, more troops show up)

some troops make it past the concrete bunker, only to be gunned down by the mg34 in the ruined house.(left) meanwhile german troops are leaving the badly damaged bunker, with only the mg42 staying behind (right)

the fresh troops open fire on the engineers and troops on the ridge

but the return fire sees the CIC killed!

the troops decide to make a dash towards the infantry in the ruins, but instantly regret that!

the right sherman destroys the log bunker with the mg 42 in it.

the mg34 and his fellow rifle men wreak havoc on the assaulting troops, while the concrete bunker barely survives the cannon shells.

but after a few more rounds of exchanging fire, all tanks are burning, and the british are not fit for fighting any longer

the survivors of the landing

the gallant german defenders. ( aside from the infantry guns and the pak, there were only 8 soldiers left, so was closer than you'd think!

I think the british really lost it because of their bad rolls! Made some appaling dice rolls, and over that many turns only had one extra landing craft turn up was no good. Also, the mg34 in the ruins survived about 15 hits and came through without a scratch! Only thing that kept them in the game so long was the pak 40 not managing to penetrate the shermans for so long!

Still a fun game on a small space!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Where was Warspite's pregame bombardment!
Great report chap
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

Thanks!

Well at least they made craters for the troops to hide in  :-\

Techno

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Enjoyable report. Despite the bad rolls it seemed to be an interesting and well balanced game.
Sleep with clean hands ...

petercooman

Well, funny you say that.The bunkers and the shermans were a bit too strong. Both took a ton of cannon fire to destroy. Luckily with both being too strong, and both firing at each other, the imbalance was a bit negated and it was still a good game.

bigjackmac

Peter,

Excellent fight, thanks for posting man, I really appreciate it!  I thought the terrain was very effective, and I absolutely love the beach mat; I need to get one/make one myself.

V/R,
Jack

petercooman

Thanks Jack!

Was really was to make! (but very hard to conquer)

Wad going to do another game today, but instead I played x wing with the boy. 4 times  :D

bigjackmac

Peter,

"...but very hard to conquer..."
I saw that! ;)  To be fair, it seemed to me the Brits needed a bit more infantry.

"...but instead I played x wing with the boy. 4 times"
I understand completely!

V/R,
Jack

petercooman

Quote from: bigjackmac on 26 May 2017, 09:30:46 PM
Peter,

"...but very hard to conquer..."
I saw that! ;)  To be fair, it seemed to me the Brits needed a bit more infantry.

Well, the germans having supercharged dice didn't help either  :-\

urbancohort

Great report and scenary. Thanks

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Norm

A nice compact game with a ton of action. This would make a good show game because it looks so do-able.

petercooman

Wel, 'use me' really is a rule set that you can pick up in minutes. When you use the pre-made character profiles in the book. So might be a non-wargamer  friendly game for conventons!