Free ACW hex based rules

Started by Norm, 20 May 2017, 07:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Free ACW hex based rules.

Two Flags - One Nation are my home brew hex based set of rules that have just been given a facelift for 2017 to include some of the mechanics that I have more recently used in my Eagles at Quatre Bras rules and Tigers at Minsk Rules. The set includes two scenarios.

I am making them available as a free download for personal use only. All copyright is retained.

I have just put up a blog post that lifts the design notes from the rules and which provides the link to my DropBox file.

LINK - 

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/free-acw-hex-based-rules.html

petercooman

Thanks for sharing norm! Will have a look, when have more time on my hands.

Will they work on hexes only? Because I have been dabbling in squares lately.

Norm

I think anyone who is conversant with grids could make one work for the other. Supports come from the rear, so that's OK and one unit attacks one unit, so that would be ok and there is only 1 unit per cell. Line of sight should be ok. You would have to test it and see if 'straight ahead' should be directly ahead or include the diagonals - certainly for artillery fire you would want that arc that comes with using diagonals.

petercooman

Will check it out. Bit busy now, trying to figure out my next game boards. Acquired two very sturdy 60cm x 72cm sheets from the dumpster at work. perfect for a 2' x 2' board with some more width. can't decide how to paint them up. Would want to mark soome squares, but don't know how big.

Who aid life was easy  ;D ;D

Steve J

Thanks for these Norm. We have a laser cutter at work, so might ask my friends to knock me up a hex based 2' x 2' board for some trial games.

petercooman

Actually reading a bit you talk about 9 X 12 hex battlefields.

That's pretty great, because that means i can usemy board from the great war.

Norm

When I was first plotting out my Napoleonic rules, I use Command and Colours hexed board and blocks, so the same board could also be used for my ACW rules or better still battle Cry, as you could use their figures for units. So there are quite a few commercial hexsets that would give a playing surface.

Interestingly, when we first play tested my Napoleonic stuff with the C&C stuff with their blocks, it was very difficult to divorce our minds from the C&C system, that association of board and blocks after playing many games could not be undone. We then moved to Kallistra hexes with the blocks and that seemed to break the rules block that we were both suffering.

petercooman

That's our eyes tricking us into the game we are familiar with when we see the components that belong to that game.

old dog, new tricks and all that  ;D

Must say i am hitting some roadblocks on getting my games smaller. For me it's not the rules that block me, but being used to fielding big armies and now going to smaller engagements and even skirmish level have thrown me a bit off. I'll adapt, but i think it will be a few games before it really sticks.