Tangier Tangent

Started by d_Guy, 19 May 2017, 02:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Since I'm extending into the Monmouth Rebellion and the War of the Two Kings, doing some actions around Tangier (Fall, 1680) becomes a real possibility.

I know nothing about the Moorish opposition force:
Are there painting guides for such?
Organizational and tactical guides?
Pendraken figures that would be good proxies?

My thanks to the collective wisdom and experience of the board!
Sleep with clean hands ...

toxicpixie

I'd guess the Renaissance Ottoamns are probably closest match? Maybe? I mean they're a hundred years out and three thousand miles away, but...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Will look at the Fiekd Of Glory Renaissance lists later, I'm sure there is something there.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

SV52

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

DFlynSqrl

I was going to link Ray's blog as well SV52.

toxicpixie

Quote from: toxicpixie on 19 May 2017, 05:00:11 PM
I'd guess the Renaissance Ottoamns are probably closest match? Maybe? I mean they're a hundred years out and three thousand miles away, but...

And in a little more detail, the only figure range I can think of from Pendraken is the earlier Renaissance Ottoman one. That might make the comment a bit more useful & comprehensible!

http://pendraken.co.uk/renaissance/16th-c-ottoman-turk/
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Westmarcher

Quote from: mad lemmey on 19 May 2017, 05:21:45 PM
Will look at the Fiekd Of Glory Renaissance lists later, I'm sure there is something there.

Think you fiekd up again there, Lemmey.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nupe, nuttin ring wid me spilling!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

In regard to Morrocan figures you can also mix in some Afghan figures from the Colonial NWF range, handy for arquebusiers and cavalry. Also look at some of the mahdist figures from the Sudan range.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

d_Guy

Gentlemen,
Thanks for the advice and references. Lots of good suggestions on figure proxies (although still working out costume and weapons)

GOM, the Mahdist and Afghan figures look very promising.

I have looked at Ray's blog before but missed the post on Teviots's last stand. While I want to do 1680 - the Moroccan forces would certainly look the same.

Have now also found an article by Pete Brown in December 2016 Wargames Illustrated on Tangier 1680 (with the usual WI eye candy).

I'm curious if anyone else has specific interest in the 20 year English andventure in Tangier?

d_guy

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The Ancient Arab range would also supply some stuff I would have thought.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

Ian, thanks.

When I searched on "Arab" in the Catalog, it did not return individual "AB-" listings. It did return the AB-1, Army pack but I didn't notice it.
Yes, there are some likely figures in that range.

Looking a pictures from both Ray's blog and the WI article, there is a good deal of interpretive work. Typical Arab headdress predominates, however. The WI article states it is a using a Tuareg army - way out of my knowledge base, so lots of work to do (like I needed more stuff to get interested in!)

d_Guy

Quote from: Druzhina on 23 May 2017, 06:55:45 AM
Here is a period illustration of an Algerian soldier called a Turk, by Henri II Bonnart

Druzhina
Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Thanks Druzhina. The Algerian soldier may have too much of a Turkish influence in dress. Apparently at Tangier it is more Berber/Bedouin.
The link to you excellent link page (I've used it before for Scots and Irish stuff) had an extra http term in it - I fixed it in the quote above.

I went through the list quickly and didn't find anything on Morocco but will go through more carefully later. It is a truly valuable resource.

d_Guy

Quote from: mad lemmey on 19 May 2017, 05:21:45 PM
Will look at the Field Of Glory Renaissance lists later, I'm sure there is something there.

That was a good Idea! I have FOG-R and the European supplements. I'll confess I'm totally baffled by the rules but they are great reference books and had not thought of them in quite awhile.

The Tangier garrison is covered in the "Duty and Glory" supplement but not their opponents. Did find some Arab and Moor listings in the "Colonies and Conquest" supplement and have a second-hand copy on the way.