Daft question.

Started by Techno, 19 May 2017, 08:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Ummm...

I was listening to the radio, this fair morn, and was a bit confused about a statement a football reporter made about a game last night.

"Think of the Spartans at the Alamo."

I understand 'the concept'.....But is this an accepted phrase for fighting against 'overwhelming odds' ?

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Very intelligent for a football commentator, total rubbish of course.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Malbork

Maybe he meant John Wayne at Thermopylae?

toxicpixie

Surely if the Spartans were at the Alamo there'd have been ten thousand Americans fighting with them, all conveniently forgotten. Heck, maybe there were and they're so forgotten that's what happened!

Davy, Davy Crocket, King of the wild spear men!

QuoteMalbork - Maybe he meant John Wayne at Thermopylae?

Nah, that's Burt Lancaster playing Leonidas in Vietnam ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Wulf

Private Eye has a regular selection of these quotes. They used to call them 'Colemanballs', now they're just 'Commentatorballs'...

Matt J

I know this one, Blyth Spartans team bus broke down and they had to pick up some rental cars.......
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

d_Guy

We are speaking of soccer here, right? Perhaps he was commenting that it was very precise and accurate passing that was keeping the beleaguered team in the game. Had the defenders of the Alamo used Spartan Precision Rifles, etc. etc.
http://www.spartanrifles.com

Hope this helps.
Sleep with clean hands ...

DFlynSqrl

As the local Texan here, I can vouch for this statement*.  I've been to both the real Alamo and John Wayne's Alamo.  The displays of Spartan helmets at both locations are truly wonderful.  Only difference really between the original Spartan helmets and those of the Texas Revolution were the more frequent use of raccoon and fox tails instead of horse hair for the plumage.  Although there were numbered at 300 in roster strength, it's believe only 257 were actually fighting in the siege due to typical sickness and leave.

* Warning - the following statement has been identified as a "Texas Tall Tale" and should only be absorbed with a lot of skepticism.

d_Guy

;D ;D nice!
Buddy Ebsen played the hunchback, right?

NEVER EVER EVER TRUST A TEXAN
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Didn't he manage the Beatles?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

That was his younger brother Brian.

DFlynSqrl

Quote from: ianrs54 on 19 May 2017, 03:30:17 PM
NEVER EVER EVER TRUST A TEXAN
;D

Quote from: d_Guy on 19 May 2017, 02:14:01 PM
;D ;D nice!
Buddy Ebsen played the hunchback, right?

Yes sir!  And Ken Curtis (Festus from Gunsmoke) played the wizened old captain and narrator.

lowlylowlycook

Michigan State played against Texas Tech in the 2010 Alamo bowl.  Not sure what their defense was like though.

d_Guy

Look out!! College Football* smack talk! Luv it!  :D