What was your worst disaster?

Started by Dickie255, 24 October 2010, 07:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackEd

My worst disaster:  I completed a Necron army for 40K.  Somewhere around 75 figures.  I spent the previous six months spraying them with Chrome and inking the recesses, and painting guns and other odd bits to mark units.  I was very careful about handling them, because the chrome finish would get marred from being handled.  I was looking forward to playing with the army!

I spray coated the whole army with Krylon gloss coat.  In five minutes I realized that the problem wasn't that the varnish was cloudy, but that the varnish destroyed the chrome surface!    ??? :( :o  :'( ~X(  I was really mad for a week!  That was over two years ago.  I STILL have not gone back and corrected that mistake.  :'(

Since then I found the solution to the problem.  Future Floor polish over the chrome.  It forms a barrier to the spray on varnish.
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

goat major

BlackEd - i had exactly the same problem with my own Necrons last week using GW Purity Seal. I'll never used Purity Seal again - used twice and failed twice.

Not only did the spray go cloudy but it turned the metallic highlights into flat grey  >:( I managed to fix it by appyling humbrol gloss varnish - which completely restored them - i then matted them down with brush on W&N acrylic matt varnish and they look pretty good.
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Leveller Mutineer

I painted 20 x 28mm ECW for a skirmish game.  As they are they were the giant kind of figures, and for a demonstration game, I had put in quite a lot of time in painting all the buttons, frills etc.  As I admired the paintwork (they were good) I reached out for a can on varnish, took the top off and sprayed a light coat of varnish on them.  Except it wasn't varnish, it was black undercoat.  The undercoat and varnish had the same colour tin and top, I just hadn't read the tin before using.

There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Last Hussar

Which is why I read the label at least twice before varnishing.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leveller Mutineer

sixsideddice

19 November 2010, 11:33:55 AM #20 Last Edit: 19 November 2010, 11:38:37 AM by sixsideddice
Reaching for the black undercoat spray... or even white has happened to me more than a few times. I now read the top several times before actually spraying, and I STILL half expect it to ruin everything - like a bad nightmare.

Probably my worst living memory of painting gone wrong has to be an entire five boxes of plastic space marines, orcs, squats and imperial guard. Now this was many years ago but, after an agonizing amount of time painting them all and looking forward, finally, to being able to field them in a few games, I took them all outside to varnish (I was using artists varnish in a pro modellers spray paint utility gun)... did a fantastic job... freezing cold because it was mid winter; bought the large flat wooden block full of figures back inside to place near the fire in the lounge so everything could dry.....

.... and tripped on the edge of the carpet.

Some pieces flew into the glowing red hot embers in the fire and vanished like Gollum and Frodo`s Ring, others just melted into pools of multi coloured plastic where ever they touched the fire fender or excessively hot tiles in front of the fire-place, the rest tipped onto the carpet like a kamiaze waterfall picking up dust, cat hairs, and all manner of household nuisance, making those newly painted wet varnished miniatures fortunate enough not to lose their existance in the flames, look like fur balls from some macabre episode of Fraggle Rock.

I almost think those that flew into the fire were the fortunate ones.

I think I actually cried in frustration LOL.

Six

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!