Movement in BKIII

Started by vonlacy, 15 May 2017, 01:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vonlacy

Could I ask, when you review the army lists that you look at movement rates, just glancing through the army lists I was stuck by the variance in movement rates, for example in the Soviet list:

KV-1 (had a road speed of 37 km/h) =15cms,
KV-1S (had a road speed of 40km/h) = 20cms,
KV-85 (had a road speed of 35km/h) =20cms,
IS-2 (had a road speed of 43km/h) = 20cms,
SU-152 (had a road speed of 43km/h) = 25cms.

All are on the same Kliment Voroshilov chassis. IS-2 and SU-152 have the same KV-1S chassis with similar V12 engines, both are heavier than the KV-1S.

I am not being a pedant, but, I would like similar preforming vehicles to have a similar movement rate as in BK2.

Steve J

Thanks for flagging this up :).

Dr Dave

Road speed is caught be the current x2 movement. Do the x-country speeds rate in the same order?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Be very careful with speeds. It is often a matter of gearing and engine governors, which limit the speeds. Find the cross-country speed if possible. For the KV's it's 7.5 mph, except the s, which manages a massive 12 mph.

So I'd suggest 15 cm except the s, which could be 20.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

vonlacy

KV-1A Cross country speed 19.5 kmh
KV-1S Cross country speed Can't find any info, but the S designation was for Skorostnoy – fast. Described as similar speed to the T34-76, but more expensive to produce.
KV-85 Cross country speed 35 km/h in "ideal terrain."
IS-2 Cross country speed 19.5 km/h.
SU-152 Cross country speed 14.5 to 19.5 kmh

Sorry but those figures look way too high. The Pnz IV and Pnz III had a design CC speed of 15 kmph. You are saying that the KV's, which rather heavier with simi;lar power output are faster ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

vonlacy

All I have done is a little research on the net. KV had the larger V2 V12 diesel to compensate for their weight. in the T34 the lighter ' V-2 34 V12 diesel power plant and offered the crew speeds that were 10 miles per hour faster than the German Panzer III or Panzer IV. ' http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-soviet-t-34-the-lethal-tank-won-world-war-ii-13889

KV-1 was slower than the rest of the class. I agree that 15 cm looks about right and 20 cm for the rest as 19.5 km/h is equivalent to 12 mph.

My original post was to point out the descrepency of 5 cms between the same Kliment Voroshilov chassis. IS-2 and SU-152 have the same KV-1S chassis with similar V12 engines, both are heavier than the KV-1S.