Achaemenid Persian Cavalry

Started by jimduncanuk, 14 May 2017, 07:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimduncanuk

Can't find anywhere more appropriate for this.

I'm a bit disappointed with the Achaemenid Persian Army Pack.

<q>The sprawling Achaemenid Empire also covered an area from the Black Sea to Egypt and from Turkey to Western India. In regular conflict with the Greeks, usually over Greek support for the ethnically Greek city-states of Western Turkey, but also happy to incorporate Greek mercenaries in their armies. Achaemenid armies were massive and relied primarily on archers and good cavalry but incorporating a huge range of different troops.</q>

I bought this army pack at the weekend on a whim but fully intending to build an army to play against my Greeks, Maurayan Indians, Republican Romans and Macedonians.

I must admit I didn't check the pack contents before buying but expected to get a fair approximation of an Achaemenid  Persian army even if I have to purchase additional figures to bring it up to strength.

There are no cavalry in the pack.

There are no cavalry in the figure range.

This somewhat screws up this army.

Where do I go from here.

:o

My Ego forbids a signature.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sassanid Persians? Greeks? Ask Techno nicely?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jimduncanuk

Quote from: mad lemmey on 14 May 2017, 08:22:50 PM

Sassanid Persians? Greeks? Ask Techno nicely?

There are sufficient Greeks available and Sassanid Persians are pretty different.

Achaemenid Persians are what I need.

mollinary

Well, if Pendraken don't produce the cavalry  there is always Magister Militum. They do both an early and late Achaemenid army pack, as well as lots of individual packs of different cavalry types.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

jimduncanuk

Quote from: mollinary on 14 May 2017, 08:58:14 PM

Well, if Pendraken don't produce the cavalry  there is always Magister Militum. They do both an early and late Achaemenid army pack, as well as lots of individual packs of different cavalry types.

Thanks for that.

Anyone know how their size compatibility with Pendraken?

Leon

Apologies for that Jim, the Achaemenid range is one of the older ranges now and was never really completed.  It's on the list to be redone by Phil at some point in the near future, but I believe the Magister cavalry should fit in fine with our figures.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Leon on 14 May 2017, 09:13:47 PM

Apologies for that Jim, the Achaemenid range is one of the older ranges now and was never really completed.  It's on the list to be redone by Phil at some point in the near future, but I believe the Magister cavalry should fit in fine with our figures.

Thanks Leon

Looks like I'll be doing a pre-order for Magister Militum for Claymore then.

FierceKitty

Newlines have some good ones. There are also some usable Parthian LC in Steve Barber's range.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

toxicpixie

Newlines ancients are decent in size & sculpt. Not many variations but I'm guessing if the Pendraken Ach Persians are old sculpts too they're quite limited in poses?

Damnit, if they get a revamp to current standards that's something else to go on the wish list!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting