Bases for BUA

Started by petercooman, 12 May 2017, 11:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Lately i have been slowly making bases for my scenery pieces. I have a ton of scenery, but most of it are single pieces. Now this might be just a coincidence, but i feel that more and more rulesets are shying away from single pieces and going for the 'area terrain' route.

So to keep everything versatile i just make 'footprints' to hold my scenery pieces and transform them into said area terrain. I have done this a while ago with my trees to get woods.

Now was the time for built up area's in the form of villages and towns. They will mostly be used for WW II, but i made sure to keep them generic for other use.

First up some town houses with walled gardens

a village

this base will also fit my ACW buildings:

small village, farm

eastern front town

This one can also be used as two separate smaller pieces

Off course, i can mix and match whatever i want, since the buildings are all loose anyway.

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

Looking good and a very flexible system :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Interesting observation about the apparent move to area terrain. I like the approach you are using. What is the "footprint" material?
Sleep with clean hands ...

Norm

Good application and allows small footprint buildings to look right, while still giving a base that looks and behaves like a BUA.

petercooman

Quote from: d_Guy on 13 May 2017, 04:05:18 AM
Interesting observation about the apparent move to area terrain. I like the approach you are using. What is the "footprint" material?

I used foamcore board I get from work. Easy to work with and inexpensive.

It might be a coincidence that I'm encountering more 'area terrain'  though, but since I use Neil Thomas' rules , I needed them any way, since he uses them in every ruleset I have from him.

petercooman

Quote from: paulr on 13 May 2017, 03:37:34 AM
:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

Looking good and a very flexible system :)

Quote from: Norm on 13 May 2017, 06:59:29 AM
Good application and allows small footprint buildings to look right, while still giving a base that looks and behaves like a BUA.

Thanks all!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Yeah those are great. Glad you are keeping the buildings separate for variety and ease of storage.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

Quote from: mad lemmey on 13 May 2017, 10:30:25 AM
Yeah those are great. Glad you are keeping the buildings separate for variety and ease of storage.

Yes really didn't want to glue them down. That way I can also move them around when troops enter the area. I hate having cocked stands all over a terrain piece.

barbarian

I remember some rules that went past that and state that once you occupy a terrain, the unit becomes the terrain (or the reciprocal).
I like this approach.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sunjester

A good idea, I might pinch this myself.  :-

petercooman

Quote from: barbarian on 13 May 2017, 12:12:54 PM
I remember some rules that went past that and state that once you occupy a terrain, the unit becomes the terrain (or the reciprocal).
I like this approach.

I like the idea of a unit getting the footprint of the terrain once they occupy it. Represents spreading out and covering all approaches!