Bringing Up kids Properly

Started by T13A, 12 May 2017, 11:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Hi

Seeing Dave's post about his trip to Normandy got me thinking about my wargaming buddy Phil, who is currently on a few days visit to Waterloo with his grown up son. The visit is being paid for by his son as a present. If I could only bring my son up the same way.

a very envious, Paul
T13A Out!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

One assumes the Waterloo is the village in Belgum near where a battle was fought in 1815 - and not a London rail terminus renown for being a congregating area for ladies of easier virtue?

Either way, a win I suppose.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Over the last few birthdays/ Christmases, my son has bought me a 15mm ACW farmstead, a couple of tomes on military history, a book on mapping military history, various books on the  world wars, the bluray of Glory and a 28mm unit of Spanish pikemen. Must have done something right.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Nicely played, Leman Junior.   :D

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Nosher

Yup, now my sons out in the big bad world working and earning birthday and christmas presents have been encouraging and I have to say most thoughtful. He's bought me various prints of classic bikes and scooters and other motorcycling paraphernalia.

My daughters on the other hand still buy socks and smellies.

I wouldn't change them for the world though. ;)

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

jimduncanuk

My daughter gave me a grandson.

Can't beat that.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Subedai

A few years ago my son and his wife bought a Polish Renaissance army for me as a Crimble/birthday pressie. My daughter will always ask which book on the Mongols I would like for Christmas, birthday/Father's Day etc as well as taking me to Krakow in Poland for three days last year as a special 60th birthday present. Still working on the other son and Ma Subs...there is still time. Reckon they all turned out okay.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Ithoriel

My sons keep me in good whisky, good music and gaming related goodies. Not sure if that means I brought them up properly or not :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 12 May 2017, 04:21:28 PM
My daughter gave me a grandson.

Can't beat that.

Yeah, it's illegal apparently.

But it's a nice thought.

DFlynSqrl

Not sure about being brought up properly... but my Dad ended up retiring a few years early due to health reasons.  So to celebrate his retirement I took him on a two week trip.  We drove through the Shenandoah Valley and then to Harper's Ferry, Antietam, and Gettysburg to complete our little American Civil War tour.  We also went to Jumonville Glen and Fort Necessity to experience some French & Indian War history.  Then on the way back we stopped at GenCon and spent the whole weekend gaming.  It was a bit expensive and I had to do all the driving, but all worth those great memories since he ended up passing away the next year.  It was something really random but so glad I did it.

Techno

Nice one DFS.  :)

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

This thread confuses me. Why does one need to bring them up at all? Just stop eating them when you've had enough.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.