Glueing to lolly sticks

Started by slinky, 09 May 2017, 04:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

I use tongue depressors - as sold by Minibits - and no, I don't say, "Ah!" before using them ... though I do sometimes say,"Aaaagh!" when I peel a figure off the stick and drop said figure on the floor!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mollinary

I too use Minibits tongue depressors. I find lolly sticks unnecessarily wide for painting small scale (ie perfectly normal scale!) figures.  :D

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

slugbalancer

A small amout of PVA works for me.

fsn

Has anyone tried Copydex? Think that might work.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

I could never, ever, EVER, use Copydex. I still remember the smell of the stuff from primary school, which is so long ago that it is a tribute to the awfulness of this product that it still sends shivers down my spine!  If you ever wanted to know what glue was made of, smell Copydex and instantly all the awful ingredients will swim before your eyes!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Subedai

I used to use lolly sticks but found them too fiddly to hold by the edge while painting. Now I use 24cm (nearly 9.5") long bamboo plant labels from Wilko:

http://www.wilko.com/seed-trays/wilko-plant-labels-bamboo-24cm-10pk/invt/0298565

Pack of 10 cost £1.75 and you can get about 12-15 figures on each. Strip of double sided tape down the middle and you are off and of course they are re-usable.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Womble67

I use double sided tape

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sunjester

Quote from: mad lemmey on 09 May 2017, 06:57:51 PM
Can I just check something guys, glue aside...
Do you eat the lolly first?

And some people question the standard of education in this country today....... :d

Jim Ando

Pva.  Then if your the  sensitive sort who doesn't like slicing them off the Lolly stick, leave them in a small amount of water and they come off next day no problem.
Jim

Albie Bach

I just use some Vallejo primer paint. (Obviously not a spray can  :D )
As some others have said, please don't use pva. I injured my hand quite badly trying to remove a model stuck with pva.
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

Dr Dave

Quote from: fsn on 09 May 2017, 08:06:05 PM
Has anyone tried Copydex? Think that might work.

Copydex all the way - despite the smell. Just glue them on and once painted twist them off - no need for tools. The residue is a bit "gummy" so you might need to rub or peel it off the base. It will come off the stick to so you can reuse it no problems.

SV52

PVA sparingly, if the base of the figures is smooth no worries, if rough or pitted oh dear.  Very noticeable in bigger scales with plastic and metal figures.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Orcs

Quote from: mad lemmey on 09 May 2017, 06:57:51 PM
Can I just check something guys, glue aside...
Do you eat the lolly first?
Quote from: sunjester on 10 May 2017, 08:15:01 AM
And some people question the standard of education in this country today....... :d

And that's from the Teacher.

I use a hot glue gun and for 10mm coffee stirrers that are free from many establishments  :).  If you have small children encourage them to take some - you will soon have loads . You need to glue a cross piece to stop them falling over though - the coffee stirrers with figures on not the small children

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Norm

Copydex, Copydex, Copydex - it is so good they should rename it 'temporary figure sticking glue'.

failing that, just use Copydex!

Ithoriel

Well, you say that Norm but actually ... I prefer to use Copydex ;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data