BKC-III Decision Reached - Please Read!

Started by Leon, 08 May 2017, 11:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Can't personally answer that, Nigel......But welcome to the forum.

Cheers - Phil.

fsn

Dear Nigel, or may I call you Mr Heather?

Do you ever watch University Challenge? Do you ever hear one of those biochemical questions and think "well I didn't understand the question, let alone have any method of beginning to formulate an answer?" Me neither. However, what I know about BKC could be inscribed on the head of a pin and still leave plenty room for evangelical debate about angelic terpsichore.

Techno and I function here merely as the warm up stooges. Techno has other worthy functions. He provides much merriment with his tales of self mutilation, he chides the wayward poster, and he occassionally makes a few wee men. I have no useful functions other than as the imperfection which makes the perfect truely wonderful - Marilyn Monroe's beauty spot, the disparity of leg length in de Vernette's Oedipus as he converses with the sphinx, Pendraken's insistence on kneeling and prone figures in every range.

So welcome, enjoy, and I'm sure someone will be along with a sensible answer.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FSN is a TOTAL OIK, ignore anything it writes.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

nheather

Okay ... bit weird.

So when BKCIII was announced I looked into buying it but could find little information about what had changed.  Particularly, the big question for me was

"Sure if you are new to BKC then clearly get BKCIII, but if you already have BKCII are the changes significant enough to warrant the outlay".

I couldn't find the answers then, couldn't find very much information about BKCIII at all, so I didn't buy.

So a few months have passed and I'm thinking "maybe there are some reviews out now" but what I actually find is that the BKCIII release hasn't gone well at all.

The goid news is that Pendraken seem to doing the responsible thing and addressing the problems with a new version.

So I read through the history, and I note that around many of the problems the resolution is to revert back to BKCII.

So now I'm wondering "still none the wiser about what is new in BKCIII but there do seem to be a number of changes that are going to be undone".

So more than ever my question is "if I have BKCII then what will the new BKCIII offer, is it significant improvements or just minor tweaks".

Cheers,

Nigel

Nick the Lemming

Since a revised third edition is in the works, I don;t think anyone can answer that yet. Changes are being made in BKC3.5, so no-one knows what the finished product will be like compared to BKC2 or BKC3 until the process of revision has been completed.

nheather

Quote from: Nick the Lemming on 27 June 2017, 12:38:05 PM
Since a revised third edition is in the works, I don;t think anyone can answer that yet. Changes are being made in BKC3.5, so no-one knows what the finished product will be like compared to BKC2 or BKC3 until the process of revision has been completed.

Thanks, appreciate that.  The thing for me is that I was never able to find what changes BKCIII made.  I am now aware of a number of problems BKCIII but still none of the good stuff.  And reading how the shortcomings the decision seems to be to revert back to BKCII - for example the armies and the scenarios.  I didn't get the impressions that there was much fundamentally wrong with the BKCIII rules, mostly the army lists and rules. 

So is there a comparison between the BKCII and BKCIII rules anywhere - just trying to find out whether they were significant or just little tweaks.

When Pendraken took over BKCII I asked whether they would be doing any army packs - was told not because they were working on BKCIII and they would do army packs for that.  Now that they say that the BKCIII army lists are going to revert back to BKCII does that mean we are going to see some army packs very soon because they will work with both BKCII and BKCIII.

Cheers,

Nigel

ronan

Hello and welcome,

Quote from: nheather on 27 June 2017, 05:39:30 PM
(...) mostly the army lists and rules. 
(...)

You said it.
;)

( I think you should wait for the 3.5 or whatever new name. I was very happy to got the rules, but after several games, most of the things went bad. BUT there were good ideas sometimes. ie. new recce capacities.
With many "bad choices" ( planes, off board artillery, etc. )

As I wrote somewhere : the main system was too good to let it down with a bad release, and we know Pendraken's the best !
:)

nheather

Quote from: ronan on 27 June 2017, 06:54:36 PM
Hello and welcome,

You said it.
;)

( I think you should wait for the 3.5 or whatever new name. I was very happy to got the rules, but after several games, most of the things went bad. BUT there were good ideas sometimes. ie. new recce capacities.
With many "bad choices" ( planes, off board artillery, etc. )

As I wrote somewhere : the main system was too good to let it down with a bad release, and we know Pendraken's the best !
:)

Of course I'll wait, hopefully when 3.1, or 3.5 or 4 (can't be 3.1 though because fractions in Roman Numerals are duodecimal - so BKCIIIS or BKCIV) comes out there will be a decent description so the benefits of BKCII can be understood.

Cheers,

Nigel

walburgrif

So, we've been waiting now for just on 3 months for the fixed version of BKC.  From what I can see, there's been nothing much on the topic for best part of two months, despite the promise to keep us all posted.  What's up? I can only assume it has been more problematic than first thought.

Wulf

Quote from: walburgrif on 01 August 2017, 01:35:28 PMI can only assume it has been more problematic than first thought.
Or, more thorough and more carefully tested...

FierceKitty

Quote from: fsn on 27 June 2017, 07:58:16 AM
Dear Nigel, or may I call you Mr Heather?

Do you ever watch University Challenge? Do you ever hear one of those biochemical questions and think "well I didn't understand the question, let alone have any method of beginning to formulate an answer?" Me neither. However, what I know about BKC could be inscribed on the head of a pin and still leave plenty room for evangelical debate about angelic terpsichore.

Techno and I function here merely as the warm up stooges. Techno has other worthy functions. He provides much merriment with his tales of self mutilation, he chides the wayward poster, and he occassionally makes a few wee men. I have no useful functions other than as the imperfection which makes the perfect truely wonderful - Marilyn Monroe's beauty spot, the disparity of leg length in de Vernette's Oedipus as he converses with the sphinx, Pendraken's insistence on kneeling and prone figures in every range.

So welcome, enjoy, and I'm sure someone will be along with a sensible answer.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leon

Quote from: walburgrif on 01 August 2017, 01:35:28 PM
So, we've been waiting now for just on 3 months for the fixed version of BKC.  From what I can see, there's been nothing much on the topic for best part of two months, despite the promise to keep us all posted.  What's up? I can only assume it has been more problematic than first thought.

There was an update last week in the newsletter: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,16381.0.html

Blitzkrieg Commander III

We're continuing to work on the revisions to BKC-III and we're aiming to have it all done soon.  The majority of the army lists have been done, so we'll get those finished off in the next week or two and then we can work through the revisions to the rules themselves.  We know a lot of people are waiting on this but we want to get it done right.

The work so far has been hit on two fronts.  Firstly we've had a busy couple of months with some staff off on holiday (and one getting married) so my time has had to be spent casting and packaging orders instead.  Secondly the army lists have proven to be a lot more work than I hoped, checking each unit line in every army list and then cross checking it to the BKC-II version is a slow process, plus making notes on anomalies, missing units, etc to come back to / raise with our feedback group.  There are only two Russian lists left to be done, plus the Japanese ones, then the bulk of that job is done.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Thanks for the more detailed update Leon

Keep calm and Carry On ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Here they go. Everything is under control.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

lowlylowlycook

Those kittens better be about to install an SSD or I'm going to be forced to doubt their professionalism.