ECW Parliament

Started by Zippee, 08 May 2017, 01:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zippee

Quote from: fred. on 08 May 2017, 08:23:57 PM
They are very spiffy, indeed!!

Really show of the advantage of big bases.

Looking forward to seeing them in a game.

Ta,

your wish, etc,
Parliament Centre & Right Flank by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

Parliament Left Flank by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

Not the best due to iffy lighting

mollinary

Beautiful and plentiful, quite a combination! I notice you have painted all your monmouth caps to match the uniform colour. It is the
firstt time I have seen this - do you have any sources for this? In my innocence I had always assumed these simple, woollen, caps, would have largely been unbleached, and a sort of grey/beige colour?

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D> :-bd

Very very impressive

I now know the basing scheme to use if Pierre the Shy and I actually get our ECW project underway
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Zippee

Quote from: mollinary on 08 May 2017, 08:47:33 PM
Beautiful and plentiful, quite a combination! I notice you have painted all your monmouth caps to match the uniform colour. It is the
firstt time I have seen this - do you have any sources for this? In my innocence I had always assumed these simple, woollen, caps, would have largely been unbleached, and a sort of grey/beige colour?

Mollinary

No not really, I deliberately wanted to emphasis the 'issued' nature of clothing, so kept to a strict uniform tone. I think far too often we see really rag-tag impressions of civil war uniforms. Whilst I think battalia would often be polyglot in that they'd be composed of several separately raised and equipped companies, I also think that the usual (after the first muster) would be for very uniform and generic cloth issue to produce a semblance of uniformity - particularly at a distance. Unless I'm mistaken this seems to be the modern impression been given by re-enactors of the period. I did survey a bunch of websites before starting, to get a flavour and understand the way clothing worked. For instance monotone jacket and breeches, seems almost universal and white / unbleached for hose very common.

Additionally I wanted to draw them spiritually closer to the second half of the century - people seem to have little issue with general uniformity post civil war. Hence the uniform black hats and white hose and buff belts, thematically that ties them in towards the later WSS uniforms. I wanted the 'look' to say "hey, we're trying to be modern here".

I also (as I usually do these days) kept to a limited palette across both armies - so all bread bags and belts are the same buff, all uniforms are one of the same 6 colours (with grey equalling the rest combined), all hats, hose, shoes, boots, armour are the same, all uniforms have white collars and cuffs, the sashes are uniform tawny or scarlet (yes I know Parliament should be varied but the single colour ties them together), all charges either terracotta or blue (not sure why blue, I've seen them painted that way and it stands out nicely which is good enough for me :)

But mostly I just wanted to emphasise the colour distinctions between otherwise identical blocks of troops - so from the other side of the table, you can point and say "the blue unit" whilst at the same time making them all look cohesive on the table.

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

paulr

Interesting to understand your thought processes, you have definitely meet your objectives :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Those are some BIG units. To the extent that I think you need to brace the table, one 10mm figure doesn't weigh much but those Reiters or especially the Tercios must make it creak alarmingly!

Stunning stuff :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 08 May 2017, 08:51:45 PM
I now know the basing scheme to use if Pierre the Shy and I actually get our ECW project underway

After seeing Zippee's amazing work you surely mean when rather than if  ;)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Jesus

They look great on you, but I think the finish is a bit shiny for my taste. Maybe a matt varnish would have been better. The flags are fantastic and the bases too.

2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

wurrukatte

Zippee

Quote from: Jesus on 09 May 2017, 10:09:29 AM
They look great on you, but I think the finish is a bit shiny for my taste. Maybe a matt varnish would have been better. The flags are fantastic and the bases too.

Hi and thanks,

yes they are due a matt spray - just need the supplies and weather to do so. Spraying that volume in my games room makes the weekly game sessions rather daunting unless I can leave the doors open to vent it :)

DHautpol

Really very nice.  Like some of the others I particularly liked the bases.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!

Jasper

Really nice looking figures :)

Roy

:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

Wow! I like these, a lot. Very impressive.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

sunjester

These look superb, well done sir. =D>