Horse Grenadiers

Started by urbancohort, 07 May 2017, 10:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbancohort

Dear all in Pendraken land. My researches into tbe Sedgemoor campaign refer to the presence of 'Horse Grenadiers'. Two questions:
Easy one: what were Horse Grenadiers? I assume they were what it said on the tin.. a unit of mounted Grenadiers. Were they regular cavalry, or dragoons though?
More difficult; are there any 10mm figs in the ranges which could be used as HGs please?
Thanks....

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Leman

Certainly in the following century they were the elite troop of dragoon regiments.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

cameronian

'Pomegranite Fruit on Horseback' according to babelfish, I kid you not.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Glorfindel

This page will give you a good idea :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_Grenadier_Guards

A detachment of mounted Grenadiers was added to each the four Troops of Horse Guards
in approx 1678.   They appear to have been a type of Dragoon, armed with muskets and
the new grenade 'technology' and expected to fight on foot.

Phil

Hwiccee

The horse grenadiers were basically elite dragoons and so at this period would fight on foot as well as mounted. At the time of Sedgemoor they were not a unit but as mentioned a detachment in other units - they became separate units later on.

On figures they looked like this - http://www.planetfigure.com/attachments/az70-49-jpg.205247/. I don't know but I think your best bet is to use SYB25 Seven years war Horse Grenadiers. The turnbacks are wrong but they are probably the closest - http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=1st_Troop_Horse_Grenadier_Guards#Uniform

toxicpixie

In 10mm does that mater - a "paint conversion" would do the trick, at worst?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

urbancohort

Quote from: toxicpixie on 08 May 2017, 07:33:13 PM
In 10mm does that mater - a "paint conversion" would do the trick, at worst?
I agree, just asking what figs might be best suited to be adapted, please?

iain1704

I would say French Dragoons from the LOA range are as close as you are going to get in this scale.

hope that helps

kind regards

Iain

d_Guy

Based on the illustration in Christopher Scott's book, agree with iain that the French Dragoons would be close because of the bag style hat worn. They do wear grenadier loops on their coats. (There are also "headswap" possibilities  :) )

As Hwiccee says,  at the time of Sedgemoor they were integrated with each troop (all three of the Life Guards and one of the Royal Regiment of Dragoons). There is some slight evidence that the may have worn regular black hats. I chose  that option for painting in 10mm (or more to the point, for Toxic Pixie who is painting them for me.  :))  My units (for a variety of reasons) are smaller than yours so many fewer figures need to be grenadiers. Since Baroque now has an experimental rule for using grenadiers may need to rethink. Don't think they were used as such at Sedgemoor however.

Sleep with clean hands ...

toxicpixie

On which note, d_guy, your first chaps are now on sticks and awaiting the test paint, but I need to find time to pop a few piccies up and resurrect my painting thread for some progress!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

urbancohort

Quote from: d_Guy on 09 May 2017, 01:46:52 PM
Based on the illustration in Christopher Scott's book, agree with iain that the French Dragoons would be close because of the bag style hat worn. They do wear grenadier loops on their coats. (There are also "headswap" possibilities  :) )

As Hwiccee says,  at the time of Sedgemoor they were integrated with each troop (all three of the Life Guards and one of the Royal Regiment of Dragoons). There is some slight evidence that the may have worn regular black hats. I chose  that option for painting in 10mm (or more to the point, for Toxic Pixie who is painting them for me.  :))  My units (for a variety of reasons) are smaller than yours so many fewer figures need to be grenadiers. Since Baroque now has an experimental rule for using grenadiers may need to rethink. Don't think they were used as such at Sedgemoor however.
Thanks d_guy.

They were definitely deployed in the campaign and at the Battle of Phillipsnorton.

urbancohort

Quote from: iain1704 on 09 May 2017, 11:34:26 AM
I would say French Dragoons from the LOA range are as close as you are going to get in this scale.

hope that helps

kind regards

Iain
Cheers Iain
G

d_Guy

Quote from: toxicpixie on 09 May 2017, 01:51:53 PM
On which note, d_guy, your first chaps are now on sticks and awaiting the test paint, but I need to find time to pop a few piccies up and resurrect my painting thread for some progress!
:) :-bd  I have Monmouth's Yellow Regiment on sticks, primed and ready to start but distracted by other projects. I simply don't like to paint and look for any  excuse not to (like working on scenery).. You may be forcing my hand  :D

d_Guy

Urban, thus brings up an interesting point. I meant they apparently weren't deployed in their functional role as "grenade chuckers".
I don't know enough about grenadiers during this period,  so maybe we can get some help.

I am used  to the Napoleonic Wars idea that the grenadier company was an elite flank company but have no idea if the still carried grenades. The same goes for the our current period of interest. I seem to recall that perhaps they used grenades at Tangiers but can't find reference. I am also aware that the were certainly used on the continent. But were they throwing grenades in the Sedgemoor or Killiecrankie campaign?
No idea.  Does any one know?

Hwiccee

Grenadiers generally used grenades when assaulting fortified positions and so were most commonly used in sieges but could be used in say attacking a gun emplacement on a battlefield. Generally though this was rare and as far as battles were concerned they are basically just an elite company.