playtest of BKC III

Started by petercooman, 07 May 2017, 01:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

08 May 2017, 08:37:03 AM #15 Last Edit: 08 May 2017, 09:53:08 AM by Sunray
Quote from: petercooman on 07 May 2017, 06:55:56 PM

@ Sunray: Indeed recce actions and mortars should be more effective.

About those mortars. I can understand them having a harder to hit number on indirect fire. In the end they are as accurate as other firing when they have line of sight so I understand the penalty when they don't have line of sight. However I feel that indirect or not, when a target in the open gets hit, they should be suppressed  just as easily, indirect or not. As it stands now, I don't think the rules take that into account. Could be wrong, so if anybody finds something, please share the reference!

As one who has experienced the receiving end of a mortar attack - yes, I would agree that the "troops are not happy and have gone to ground,taking the best cover to protect themselves" (BKC 2 p.21).   This would apply to all troops - with the exception of those who have overhead armour protection (not all that common in WW2) .  The mortar's ability to lay down suppressive fire  - on a good day a team will loose of a round every 3 seconds on a L16- take about 8-10 rpm for a 120mm- add a mix of phos with the HE for confusion .....is impressive  :-
Also, because medium mortars are integral to a unit - fire is spotted and effect reported petty much instantaneous. In WW2 one would have to allow for more primitive comms, but if fire can be called down, it can be spotted and adjusted/repeated  

williamb

Mortars and infantry guns should also have the remote ability.  See page 12 of BKC 2 under command modifiers, note 2

Sunray

Quote from: williamb on 08 May 2017, 02:19:39 PM
Mortars and infantry guns should also have the remote ability.  See page 12 of BKC 2 under command modifiers, note 2

Thanks William - is this retained in BKC 3 ?

petercooman

Quote from: williamb on 08 May 2017, 02:19:39 PM

The mortars I used in the play through did have the remote rule.

williamb

08 May 2017, 04:25:38 PM #19 Last Edit: 08 May 2017, 04:46:25 PM by williamb
Quote from: Sunray on 08 May 2017, 03:42:31 PM
Thanks William - is this retained in BKC 3 ?

The last sentence from the BKC2 modifier table note 2 was left out entirely.  see BKC3 page 23, command modifiers, note 3, but the army lists do give mortars and infantry guns the remote ability which makes up for that part of the modifier table.

Quote from: petercooman on 08 May 2017, 03:49:08 PM
The mortars I used in the play through did have the remote rule.

I hadn't looked at individual items in the army lists.  What I did  do was check on special rules, like the missing American and British special artillery rules and the German flanking deployment rule, and the air superiority modifiers (only found a few that were different).  Looks like they did something right for the army lists.    The German infantry gun also has the remote ability and it looks like mortars in all the lists have remote.  Have yet to find anything in the rules that gives recce the remote ability.

petercooman

Quote from: williamb on 08 May 2017, 04:25:38 PM
Have yet to find anything in the rules that gives recce the remote ability.

Don't think there is anything