Japanese cavalry 1904

Started by Leman, 07 May 2017, 12:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

There are plenty of figures to use for Russian cavalry during the Russo-Japanese War, but not much for the Japanese. I have been given one suggestion, namely the Pacific War cavalryman with havelock. However I think the WWI Austrian hussar, cast with the pelisse removed, would make an excellent 1904 Japanese cavalryman.

Another point: I have just read that the Russian maxim machine guns in 1904-5 were mounted on light artillery style carriages with a shield, and not on the small WWI/II style carriage. Maybe the 1870 French Mitrailleuse? I've not seen the machine guns or pom-poms of the Boer War range, but would they be any good?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

Alan/Shedman might be the one to answer that - his blog has a page on them. Two Marshalls, iirc!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Shedman

There are undoubtedly better proxies for the Japanese cavalry than the Pacific War figures - I did look at the Austrian WW1 cavalry but thought that they required more preparation that the the ones I went for

And to be honest the Japanese cavalry rarely fought on horseback as they were no match for their Russian counterparts

Again for the early maxim you are right about the shields - again I bought a pack of the Mitrailleuse which would be ideal but as I already had enough WW1-style Russian mgs I didn't have the will to get them sorted

See

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!