Some questions that come up on another read through of the book

Started by petercooman, 05 May 2017, 10:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldenBUA

Quote from: petercooman on 06 May 2017, 12:45:45 PM
Now ifthe ability on page 67 read "tactical move action" i would agree.

Fair enough. Doesn't make sense as written. Should be 'tactical move' in my opinion. And quite a few units that are now lumbering shouldn't have it applied to them. Slow moving plus the vagaries of the command system means that units are pretty slow anyway.

I also think that for some of the units the whole deploy then fire, and deploy then move can be a bit much.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

petercooman

Dr Dave

Lumbering Matildas will also be outstripped by men on foot!

But, we are all discussing a set of rules that the publishers have acknowledged are broken, not fit to use and are going to replace. All that needs to happen now is a diligent team need to spot all the mistakes.  :'(ŵ

williamb

"Lumbering Matildas"!  Sounds like the title to a song ;D

toxicpixie

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome on stage the Lumbering Matilda's and their hit song Every German Tank is a Tiger!"
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Dr Dave

OldenBUA

If you look at the bit about ground scale and time scale, it seems that a lumbering vehicle with a move of 15cm can manage about 1.2 km / hour (less than 1 mph). And that's​being generous, could be even less.

I know there were some slow vehicles, but not that slow.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

petercooman

Yeah lumbering really is an unnecessary addition IMHO.

It slows the game down, and at the meantime provides a huge advantage to a Defender.
It would seem that the lumbering special rule brings the points of an anti tank gun WAY down. In a defence an anti tank gun that is in a prime position and who doesn't need to move will be as potent as it used to be at a quarter of the price in points!

williamb

Quote from: Dr Dave on 07 May 2017, 07:30:21 AM
don't make fun of my Matildas!  >:(
Actually poking fun at the special rule that shouldn't be.  Or is that the special rule which should not be named?

Dr Dave

The "special rule that shouldn't be". Which one exactly?  ;D

williamb

Could be a Monty Python skit.   Oh, I'm a lumbering and that's okay, I don;t move far and sleep all day. :D

Ithoriel

"Who'd take Matildas? Who'd take Matildas?
Who'd take a Char B or KV too?
"Lumbering" is bollox,
Little better than a pillbox,
I think we can fix this, I really do! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Gentlemen, we have our new Kipling!

I like a Matilda. Especially against Pz I, II and the Czech stuff - the majority of Pz Divs in 1940. 

Do you like Kipling?
I don't know, I've never Kippled.
Goon Show, 1965
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!