new to 10mm.

Started by sigmar, 05 May 2017, 01:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigmar

Due to lack of space I have to scale down from 28mm to 6mm 10mm. on a 3-3 Foot Board. I have a large collection of 6mm figures from Baccus Mainly Napoleonic British Peninsula/French . 10mm Scale AWI British is my first order of Figures and will Paint them soon.

Ithoriel

Hi Sigmar, welcome to the forum.

I will give you my standard assessment of the forum - it is by turns erudite, friendly, welcoming, supportive and .... well, frankly, utterly lunatic! :) I've found it an interesting and friendly place, hope you do too.

I've a fair number of Baccus 6mm myself but no AWI in any scale. My current fads are 6mm Sumerians and their enemies, 1/1200 ancient galleys and Kursk-era WW2 Eastern Front in 10mm. I have a lot of painted Pendraken WW2 and an even bigger pile of unpainted stuff!!

Once again, welcome and "Enjoy!"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Welcome to the scale where armies look like armies!  :)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

DFlynSqrl

paulr

Welcome  :-h

I'm sure you will enjoy the AWI figures they are a joy to paint :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Techno

Welcome !

Cheers - Phil.

fsn

05 May 2017, 07:49:57 AM #7 Last Edit: 05 May 2017, 07:59:12 AM by fsn
Greetings Sigmar - love the game when we have to guess how old you are. My guess "old enough to know better, but young enough not to care."

My sympathies on the downsizing, but a 3x3 in 6mm must equate to about 12x12 in 25mm?   :-\
Never could manage them that small. With my fading eyesight, I can barely see the 10mm, let alone 6mm. Also, not a Rebellion against his Majesty's Lawful and Divine Rule fan. I think I overdid it in 1975 when there seemed to be a lot of it about for some reason.

Is it just the age of the musquet that tickles your fancy? Do you never stray into territory with a little less black powder and a little more battering with sharp objects? I'm thinking 3x3 is about right for a good old Dark Age (Or really quite early mid-medieval in the West, but let's not be culturally imperialist as it should be called) battering match. Tiff between Anglo-Saxon hordes (30 being quite  sufficient for an AS Army at 1:1), noble Saxons defending their village from marauding Norsemen, Arthur in his Roman armour fending off ... evil Saxons, Welsh warbands squabbling over leek rights? Irish kings blood feuding over potato fields, whilst secretly wondering what a potato is? No? Oh well.

Enjoy the forum, and please post pictures.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

05 May 2017, 08:19:35 AM #8 Last Edit: 05 May 2017, 08:24:55 AM by Leman
Welcome Sigmar (for a horrible moment I thought you were going to wax lyrical about GW); certain you will find 10mm a good downsizing compromise, given that nowadays you can go 8mm (those Perry chaps again), 6mm, 3mm, 2mm and cardboard shapes. Easy to manage as well, in the last month I've managed 2 SYW Prussian infantry units, a unit of dragoons, a unit of jagers, and a unit of Austrian Grenze. Now prepping two units of early WWI Austrian cavalry.

FSN's early Britain set-to seems a jolly good idea to me (time to complete the Romano-Britons, Saxons and Picts). 
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

Welcome on board and I play most of my games on a 4' x 4' table or smaller these days.

PB

Welcome. The AWI range is a great place to start in 10mm.

Westmarcher

Welcome, Sigmar. Good choice for starting off your Pendraken collection - scenery (wooden buildings, snake / rail fences, etc.) can be used for that North American conflict in the next century, the American Civil War (which, incidentally, Pendraken also cover) plus stone walls, bridges and most stone buildings can be used for earlier horse & musket wars (e.g., Seven Years War - also covered by Pendraken). I don't know if you know about a set of SYW rules called Honours of War (HoW). Might be worth looking in to its supporting forum which includes a section with ideas for converting to the AWI. HoW at reduced scale is also easily playable on a 3' x 3' table - here are a couple of links, the first of which has an illustration of a game on a 3' x 2' playing surface(!) and the second with a Battle Report of a game played on a 3' x 3' playing area (all figures are Pendraken, of course).

http://honoursofwar.com/thread/339/syw-10mm

http://honoursofwar.com/thread/362/close-run-thing-spittelwitz
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hello and welcome to you.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Quote from: Westmarcher on 05 May 2017, 11:37:21 AM
Welcome, Sigmar. Good choice for starting off your Pendraken collection - scenery (wooden buildings, snake / rail fences, etc.) can be used for that North American conflict in the next century, the American Civil War (which, incidentally, Pendraken also cover) plus stone walls, bridges and most stone buildings can be used for earlier horse & musket wars (e.g., Seven Years War - also covered by Pendraken). I don't know if you know about a set of SYW rules called Honours of War (HoW). Might be worth looking in to its supporting forum which includes a section with ideas for converting to the AWI. HoW at reduced scale is also easily playable on a 3' x 3' table - here are a couple of links, the first of which has an illustration of a game on a 3' x 2' playing surface(!) and the second with a Battle Report of a game played on a 3' x 3' playing area (all figures are Pendraken, of course).

http://honoursofwar.com/thread/339/syw-10mm

http://honoursofwar.com/thread/362/close-run-thing-spittelwitz
Agree entirely. I am playing a HOW scenario this afternoon. In 28mm it is 6'x6' - my 10mm table this afternoon is 3'x3'. this is because HOW (published by Osprey) has play sheets for different scales. Personally I find the 10mm version on 20mm square bases too small, and instead use 25mm square bases, four base standard units and the 15mm play sheet. Even this is 50% smaller in scale than the 28mm version.

An earlier scenario game on 3'x2'
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

Ooo, that looks the business, Andy!

Cracking.

Also, hello Sigmar.

Don't let anyone's apparent insanity put you off, even FSN is fine on days with a "z" in them ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting